[ 42 ]

It had been months since Aine had seen her brother. With the seasons changing from autumn to winter, there was still no news about Aion's wellbeing after Snape had revealed to her that he sent him away to Shell Cottage upon faking his death. Whether the older Estoileon male was recuperating well with the injuries he had sustained during the deading duel with Cal or not, and whether he was living and breathing properly, Aine didn't know.

Those around her who were unaware that Aion was still alive wouldn't even dare to bring up his name in front of her, let alone mention anything that related to him. They barely spoke of him and just as the seasons passed, his death had departed the minds of the Deatheaters. Forgotten like a passing cloud. It was as if he wasn't part of them in the first place, as if he wasn't a wizard who took the Dark Mark like the rest of them. 

Not that Aion's heart was ever honestly with theirs anyway.

No one had spoken of Aion Estoileon since the day Aine lashed out, unleashing the souls of the damned in the drawing room upon learning of his supposed demise. Since the night she had killed several of her 'comrades' and traumatized almost half, if not majority of the soldiers in her father's army.

Aine hadn't received a single word about Aion despite thinking about him every day. That was only until recently, out of nowhere, when she held zero expectations at all.

It had been after one of her late-night missions of the usual rounding up of betrayers of the Dark Lord, interrogating and threatening them to join his cause when she had come back at the crack of dawn. She was exhausted and had gone straight to her bed (sometimes even mistaking Draco's room for hers because she was so used to being by his side). 

Most of the Deatheaters around the manor were either away dealing with whatever labours their master had tasked them to or was just lazing about in the Malfoy estate, too tired to be bothered with keeping tabs on the compound as it was still very early in the morning. And partially due to how no one would dare to trespass the area considering their growing status and army size in the Wizarding World.

Truth be told, Aine wasn't even sure if it had been a mere coincidence that Hestia, her beloved owl managed to sneak into her window after being apart from her master to live in the Owlery with the rest of the Malfoy's owls. Nevertheless, she came one morning and hooted in the softest voice Aine had ever heard her. And fastened around her midnight feathery neck was a small domed locket with a tiny blue rose embedded in what appeared to be glass, concealing a secret note. 

Which was odd since Aine never dressed her owl with trinkets, nor had she collared Hestia once. 

It was a short message with a few simple sentences, along with a handwriting Aine was familiar with. The relief she felt was indescribable that she could only put a hand to her mouth to cover the small gasp that left her lips. She couldn't express the yearning feeling and tears welled in her eyes even without realising it as she read the folded letter. 

'Safe. Still searching for Blue Rose. Allies found. Someone we can trust. I'm sorry for worrying you and I miss you so much. 

Stay strong, my sweet sunshine.

- A.R.E'

Aine originally didn't need to be told who was the sender as she had recognised the scripture. The last three alphabets were written so small that it was possible to mistake them as ink dots, if not for Draco and his keen eyesight and idea of spotting the domed glass on the locket as a magnifying glass. 

Three letters were enough for them to know who it came from. 

A, R and E— To which both of them had deciphered to be Aion Rayne Estoileon.