Chapter Two

We were shocked to see our friends name in the newspaper. Mrs. Levine stayed silent to allow us to have time to process the information she just said. Hilda looked more shocked than me.

'How is this possible? Where is she right now?' I had tons of questions, but I asked just one, that I knew the answer of.

"Can... We go home?"

Mrs. Levine, understanding our situation, nodded with compassion. I stood up, as quick as possible, holding Hildas hand to help her. The bus didn't go anywhere yet, so we went towards the bus door, very carefully.

"Do you need help getting home?" The teacher asked. I thought for a moment. Does Hilda need help? I didn't. I looked at her, she still couldn't think straight.

"I don't think so, but thanks for asking." I answered quickly and left the bus. We sat on the bench in a bus stop.

I really wasn't sure if I wanted to go anywhere today, but home. What about Hilda? She will need help getting to her house, since it is very far away from here.
What can I do?

But then it hit me.

"Hilda?" I asked hesitantly. She looked at me. "Do... Do you want to go for a sleepover with us?" I asked. I knew she will need help getting through this. She nodded slowly.

"I... Have to ask my parents." She said, taking her phone out. She called them, as soon as the phone was unlocked. I couldn't really understand her, since at home they speak a different language. I'm surprised I haven't asked her about it yet, but it can wait.

Hilda hung up. Interesting, what were they talking about?

"My mom said yes." she said. "Thank you." I could see that she was shy, but relieved.

"No problem. Let's go!"

"There we are!" I said, pointing at my house. Hilda looked impressed.

"Cool!"

We entered home. Looks like nobody was there, my parents were at work, and Alan is supposed to be at school. I showed her around a bit.

"Here's the kitchen. By the way, are you hungry? I can cook you something!" I said, but she shook her head. "Okay! Here is the dining room, the living room." I said. But then I saw the newspaper, that my dad was reading in the morning. I came up to it and grabbed it. 'Maybe I'll read it later?' I continued talking. "Upstairs we have bedrooms: mine, my brothers and my parents. Here is the bathroom."

"Okay!"

We went upstairs. I heard noises from my brothers bedroom. Hilda looked at me, terrified as I opened the door.

My brother was sitting in front of his computer, gaming.

"Alan, really?!" I yelled at him. He got so scared, his chair fell over.

"OH MY GOSH! What are you doing here!?" He yelled back, shocked to see me. "Weren't you at a school trip?! And what's that?" He pointed at the newspaper in my hands.

"None of your business."

"And who is she?!" He looked at Hilda. She waved at him slightly. "What is she doing here?"

"That's Hilda, but... That's not important. You need to go to school!" I said, he tried protesting, but I covered his mouth, to hush him. "You know, you will get in trouble. Now go!"

"Okay, fine, Let me just finish this game..." He answered, taking his headphones. I plucked them from his hands. "Hey! Give it back!" I held them high up, so he couldn't reach them. "Fine!!!" He stood up, turned his PC off, and walked downstairs with his old schoolbag. He never agreed to buy a new one.

"Ugh..." I exhaled. Was he doing this all this time?  "Let me take you to my room."

We entered my room, it was kind of messy. Hilda started looking around. It was a big room, with brown wallpaper and a cozy couch. I left the room for a moment, and came back with a matress. I put it on the floor and put a blanket with a pillow on it. The bed was ready.

"Sorry for the mess..." I said, sitting down on the bed. "How are you feeling?"

"Not the best to be honest. Thank you for having me." I could feel, she was depressed, but her voice still was soft and kind, like always.

"You're welcome. When you need anything, tell me." I said, with a fake smile on my face.

I laid on my bed, and took out the newspaper. I saw, that Hilda was trying to also read it, so I sat next to her. I started reading.

"Three people went missing last night. The situation is getting more and more serious, since it's been a month since the dissaperance started. We hired the best people we could find for this. After a week we still had no clues. Detective McLoop said, there were no fingerprints, footprints or any hair. It's like they vanished into the air. The town has been freaking out. Around 0.04% of people in this country went missing. If you see any clues, contact this number ASAP: (phone number), or contact us on our email: (mail adress) . Missing people list:"

I stopped reading. I wasn't ready to see Violett's name on the list. I stood up and turned on my laptop. I started typing something as quick as possible.

"What are you doing?" Hilda asked, with fear in her voice.

"Searching for clues." 'But I won't call anyone. I want to do this by myself. I know what those people will say. "You're too young for such "serious " things". Ugh I hate these phrases!'

I started searching. I found the page surprisingly quick.

"Violett Summers went missing last night around 11:00 PM. A 14yo girl with brown hair and blue eyes. If seen, contact ASAP. Last seen wearing a purple shirt with white stars and pink pijama pants."

"I found it!" I whispered quietly. I scrolled down, and saw the last photo. 'Yeah that's her! Hmm...'

"Parents, Maria and Victor Summers said, they heard loud noises, walking, and screaming, that stopped after around 3 seconds. The room was cold. We think, she was kidnapped, since the window was wide open. These are the only clues."

'Kidnapped? No way that's kidnapping. Why would someone kidnapp so many people?' I searched more. Her screaming stopped quickly, so... It kinda reminds me of vanishing... And there were no clues in the room, besides the window. I had no clue what to do next. 'Let's search for more info. "dissapearing experiment." Looks interesting.'

I clicked the link. It was a video. Some scientists put a tennis ball in the mittle of some weird mashines. Then there was a bright flash of light, and when the light was gone, so was the ball. 'But that breaks the logic! How would it vanish like that? It must go somewhere, right?'