..

"hi there," a voice interrupted my thoughts.

"what?" i grumbled. true, i had only been thinking about the lunch special (chicken nuggets and fries), but that didn't mean i wasn't deeply devoted to my inner thoughts. i didn't turn around to bother to see who was behind me. i just kept facing forward in the the line.

"you're violet right?" the voice said again.

"yup," i huffed. could he leave me alone, whoever he was? couldn't he tell i was a girl on my period who was thinking about food?

"cool, my name's jack."

suddenly my slouched over posture became stick straight. my lunch tray nearly fell from my hands as i quickly turned around to check that the boy behind me was in fact jack gilinsky.

"you okay there?"

no, i have a fucking crush on you, just like every other in the entire school does . i have a damn crush on you and i was so focused on food i didn't recognize your voice.

i had never talked to him before, but i had heard him in the halls or at those parties, boasting about "conquests" or making jokes.

i had liked him ever since it was my first day of freshman year when i had seen him leaning against the senior lockers talking with his friends. we had made eye contact for a few seconds, and then he had looked away.

other than that we had never interacted with each other, until now.

"yes, i'm great," i replied hesitantly, "do you need something?"

his eyes widened, surprised at my audacity, "yes actually. i want you to move so i can get the ketchup you are blocking."

"then why didn't you just say so instead of striking up unnecessary conversation?" i asked, hands on both of my hips. i didn't know why i was being such a bitch, but it felt good to be a freshman (only four months in) talking up to a senior.

i felt bold.

i was surprised when he didn't say anything mean back. he only shifted from foot to foot before reaching behind my head and getting numerous packets of ketchup. before i could even focus on the fact that i could smell his peppermint breath close to my mouth and feel his chest graze mine, he was gone.