Chapter 13: Love Story ★

Bắt đầu từ đầu

"Great, thanks, guys!" I thanked. 

We spent the rest of the afternoon planning out my next album. We decided that they would give me a while to write some songs, whatever felt right to me. This wasn't an album that needed to be released right away, I had plenty of time to decide what exactly I vision it to be. I could still earn money by promoting songs from Fearless.

By the end of the day, I was preparing to leave Nashville to fly to New York, where I would be interviewed on GMA. I was nervous, but I had been emailed the questions ahead of time and had prepared all of my responses so that they were detailed and got the message across.

I was worried about experiencing anxiety before my interview, but that wasn't a really big problem. Not until a few minutes before at least. But I managed to calm myself down, thanks to Joel teaching me a few ways to deal with anxiety.

"And now, without further ado, we have the one, the only, Ronnie Smallbone!" I heard my name announced, as the crowd cheered for my appearance. 

"Ronnie Smallbone has just finished touring, after releasing her #1 debut album Fearless, which ended up breaking records overnight! Congratulations!" the interviewer told me.

"Thank you so much!" I said.

"It seems like you're having a lot of fun this morning"

"This is crazy," I said. "There's so many of them out there! And in here, and it's just amazing, I'm so blown away."

"Well we are all blown away as well, and this album Fearless, you branched out here. And I heard that you called it 'an album dedicated to getting back up and fighting for what you want over and over again.' What did you mean by that?"

"Well, it's not a mystery anymore that I've gone through a lot while writing the songs for the album. There was a point in my life, where I felt hopeless. I didn't see how I could recover from all the things happening. I lost my parents, I lost my boyfriend, I lost my happiness. And that's a scary thing to lose. I originally began making an album to support my brothers, we needed money, and I always loved music, I had been writing songs since I was a teen. So when I was thinking about what to call my album, I was thinking, 'What ties all my songs together? what do these all have in common?' And I realized, that all of these songs were me trying to get through something - whether it was a crush, a breakup, or just a bad time in my life, all these songs I wrote because I wanted to get through something. I felt like even though every time I've tried before, I've lost. And it's fearless to have faith that someday things will change."

"That's great," the interviewer said. "Now, I know you have a lot of songs based on previous relationships you had, so how did those relationships influence you to write songs about them?"

"Well, I think for me, music is my way of understanding what I'm feeling. When I started writing songs when I was  15, I would run to my room and write songs about a difficult day at school or something like that, and it kind of carried me my whole and allowed me to kind of filter through complicated emotions and make them simple."

"So what comes to you first, the scene, the feeling, the tune?"

"Well, it's always different, it's like sometimes it's a fragment of lyric and melody, sometimes it's a like a background vocal or a post-hook or something like that. It's like getting the first puzzle piece and you have to, at that point, figure out where it fits in the grand scheme of things, and fill in the rest of the songs."

"We have gotten all kinds of questions coming in for you on Twitter, and one of them comes from Fearless_23, who wanted to know 'Which song on Fearless was the hardest to write emotionally?"