Chapter 14: Sparks Fly

Start from the beginning

"The Youkai are considered spirits that protect the balance between the human world and nature, while simultaneously also representing the more mysterious aspects of the world. This festival celebrates their spirits while also welcoming in a new season. That is why music and food are prominent themes throughout."

"There's also supposed to be another activity that normally goes on at this time of the year..."

She seemed distracted for a moment before shaking off her thoughts.

"Um... but never mind that! It's a time to celebrate. So why don't we just do that, yeah?"

Kokomi's voice was suddenly brighter, as if she wanted to quickly change the subject, but... I wouldn't let her go that easily since I am luring a predator nearby.

"Oh? No, no. Do tell." I leaned in a bit closer to her.

"...There's... um... games, and... other things... you know..."

Her face was slowly turning redder and redder, and she seemed to be struggling to speak due to my closeness and intense gaze.

She started stumbling over her words. Suddenly, she stopped and backed up a little, still trying to finish her sentence while keeping a bit more distance from me.

And then...

"Haven't you even notice that the Divine Priestess is now getting uncomfortable with you? I thought you were the keenest of sight."

My enemy's voice that I despise so much suddenly came in as she approached us both.

" Ah, so you finally decided to show up, shadow. I was starting to feel a bit of pity to put Kokomi through all of this awkwardness, wondering how much longer would you stalk and listen to our conversation."

Kokomi immediately looked startled as she heard me speak, and stepped back a bit more. I could tell that she was surprised that she hadn't noticed Ei and my plan of her becoming somewhat of a bait.

"Oh, but you're surely mistaken since I always come here because this is where I clear and process my thoughts." She defended.

"Whatever you say, shadow. Now, could you leave us alone?"

My words caused Kokomi to look even more startled. She tried to keep her composure, but I guess it was hard not to feel intimidated by two such powerful beings.

Ei sighed, letting out a light chuckle.

She seemed to be in no rush to leave, especially after seeing how much Kokomi was struggling to put up a conversation with me. And I felt no need to force her into doing so either. But if I wanted to talk more with Kokomi, I have to find a way to convince Ei to leave first.

"I'm afraid not since I'll be taking away the Divine Priestess now." She replied.

"Oh?"

I decided to recklessly approached Ei and face her.

"She and I have things to discuss governmentally from which it doesn't include someone like you." She looked straight at me while speaking, as if she wanted my full attention.

"And what if I don't?"

"If you don't, then you probably know where this will lead us too. Don't you?" She gave me a hard look, seemingly determined to get me to back off.

The look in her eyes could almost intimidate anyone just by itself. I could feel the divine presence within her and a slight feeling of dread.

At this point, it was becoming obvious that I wouldn't back down on her request either.

Kokomi then tries to step in and place herself in the middle, trying to stop our breakout fight between me and the Electro Archon.

"Could we all calm down? We shouldn't have an argument in broad daylight... "

She had the air of someone afraid of making things worse than they already were. She didn't seem like she wanted to fight. Yet, she didn't want to leave, either. Her eyes were wide with stress as she spoke to the both of us.

She glance at Kokomi's arm and I followed her through and realized what she was about to do.

Ei was about to grabbed Kokomi but I quickly stopped her by grabbing her own hand first.

As I grabbed Ei's hand, my grip met hers. My fingers clasped with hers, and for an instant, both of our gazes locked as electricity was filling the air.

I kept looking at Ei, and I could tell she wasn't happy to be suddenly restrained.

She looked even more frustrated, but she didn't seem like she wanted to do anything extreme, especially not in front of Kokomi.

In the meantime, Kokomi had watched all this play out, her expression getting even warier and more anxious the longer it went on.

I felt the tension build, my heart pounding in my chest as this moment seemed to last for eternity.

Then, suddenly, I heard a voice.

"I think now is not the time for you deities to fight once again... "

It was Kokomi. I turned back to look at her, letting go of Ei's hand.

"Y/n, let us continue our conversation later okay?"

After I heard Kokomi said this, I shrugged and grinned at her, making them both suddenly confused by my actions.

"There's no need. I have already heard what I must heard." I then turned around and began to walk away.

"Huh? Wait! Then why–"

I stopped on my tracks and turned around to face Kokomi.

"Pfft, cause I wanted to annoy the Raiden Shogun, that's why."

After revealing my intentions, Ei scoffed before squinting her eyes looking more irritated than before.

"What? Can't handle some self entertainment? Then come on, chase me, and fight me, shadow..." I smirked before sticking my tongue out and wink towards her as if to taunt her.

"You..."

She ran towards me with a speed of light but I'd already managed to teleport myself above the small wooden bridge and rest my arm on it.

"Tsk, tsk. Too slow for the goddess of thunder."

I deliberately laughed at myself before heading towards the city.

"Enjoy your boring discussion, you two."

Even from this distance, I could tell that Ei was giving me a death stare, but the two of them began to discuss once more, and I was already too far to even hear them.