𝟏𝟎 || 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐄

Start from the beginning

I was beyond stressed.

I took being under pressure relatively well. I would keep my sophistication, and my mind was always racing with things to say during any and every situation possible, but on the rare occasion of being overwhelmed, I would break. I couldn't show that kind of vulnerability, especially to Dominic when I had established like I could care less.

I took a deep breath before finding a pair of shoes to wear, the pair of red bottomed heels caught my eye, and I set them aside while I looked through my jewelry. I picked up a gold necklace with the pair of matching hooped earrings.

I probably had to be downstairs and ready to leave in ten minutes, so I took my time as I clasped the necklace around my neck and put in the earrings. I spritzed a few sprays of my favourite perfume before stepping into the heels, that easily gave me an extra few inches of height.

I carefully walked back over to the bigger mirror and examined myself. I couldn't remember the last time I dressed up like this. Nathan never had any interest in events like these, so I stopped attending them after he told me it made him uncomfortable for other men to be around me when I looked like this.

Now I realized he was just manipulative.

I brushed my hands against the silk fabric before heading outside of my room and down the stairs, careful not to fall at the steps. 

Dominic stood there, leaning against the wall as he waited for me. His deep blue eyes lingered down my body, taking in the sight of me in the red silk dress, now completed with shoes and jewelry. He himself looked good, and it felt sickening to admit it. He wore a white button up, not button all the way with a black blazer.

"Stop staring," I said, finally at the last step of the stairs.

His mouth curved upwards. "That's a big ask from me, Red."

I ignored his teasing, walking right passed him and into the garage where several of his motorcycle and cars were parked. There were probably around 8 of them, many expensive luxury ones, but a few others that I didn't recognize.

His Mercedes unlocked with a beep, and I stepped into the passenger side, just as I always did with Dominic quick to follow. Instead of starting the car, he reached deep into the pocket of his dress pants, and pulled out a small velvet box.

Holy shit.

He opened the box, and it revealed a beautiful diamond ring. It was shaped as an oval, with one big gem in the middle, and multiple smaller ones on the outside.

I didn't know what to do, how to react. I was frozen in awe.

He took my left hand gently, touching my hand as if it would shatter. "We're going to have to sell our marriage tonight," he said. "Make it believable to everyone."

I looked at him, carefully brushing my hair out of my face. "Okay." I said simply and quietly. He slid the ring onto my ring finger. "So you're going to have to cut it with the attitude and put up with me for one night."

I rolled my eyes. "Don't hold your breath."

_______

My nerves got the best of my while in the car.

I wasn't ready, how could I be? I had to keep my composure as I put on an act for everyone in the room to believe in. I'd only known Dominic for all of seven days, and I was supposed to act like I was madly in love with him, which was the total opposite of my true feelings towards him; for the most part anyways.

We pulled up to the auction house, and it wasn't what I thought it would look like. Instead of being dusty and old, it was brand new and looked a lot more approachable.

We got out of the car and stood in front of the building for a solid 10 seconds, just in complete unwavering silence. "Once we enter," he broke the silence. "You refer to me as Angelo, you never make conversation with Russians, and you never flirt with other men. Understood?" He questioned, his voice steady and commanding.

"Why can't I be interested in other men? Will it hurt your ego?" I asked, tilting my head.

I knew I wasn't going to be flirting with other men, I wasn't ready for it. What happened with Dominic was a one time thing, and I couldn't even remember why it happened in the first place. I think I was just so tempted, and I couldn't resist the first man that had noticed me after I was single. But nevertheless, I had learned my lesson about sleeping with men I didn't know.

Dominic's lips curled into a dismissive scoff, a mixture of irritation and exasperation flickering across his features. "I don't give a single fuck if you're interested in other men, just not these men." His tone carried a hint of possessiveness.

Good to know.

"Why not?" I challenged, my voice laced with defiance as I met his gaze head-on. "You don't exactly get to dictate my life." The words were a pointed reminder that his 'authority' of providing me some sort of protection meant nothing to me.

"You have no idea what you're getting yourself into."

"Whatever," I whispered. He said nothing back, trailing behind me as we made our way to the top.

Dominic's hand pulled open the door, letting me step inside before he did the same. Soon, we stood inside of the auction house, surrounded be loud voices and an unfamiliar atmosphere.

_______

words (1600)