[Chapter Four] | New School, Old Face

Start from the beginning

Though, it seemed Y/N was staring for quite a while. Eleanor cleared her throat and tapped her fork at the edge of her porcelain plate. Knocked out of his senses and shaking his head a few times, Y/N sees quite the smug smirk on his mother's face as she leaned it on her closed fist.

"You've been staring for quite a while," Eleanor says. "Are you fantasizing about your mother?"

"Don't patronize me, that's the last thing I would do," Y/N annoyingly says. "I was just... Thinking about stuff."

"Oh? And what is this 'stuff' that you're thinking about? Surely it isn't any lewd things about your own mother."

His annoyed gaze persisted. "Mother, while I do admit that you are quite the beautiful woman, I do not fantasize you in a lewd manner. So would you please stop teasing me about that."

"Very well," she says, giggling to herself. "So, tell me. What is it that you are thinking about?"

"Uh... Well..."

A suggestive grin makes its way to Eleanor's face. "Ah, I know. Is it perhaps about a particular blonde girl you knew back then? Who's name starts with a 'Y'?"

As she asked this question, Y/N was in the midst of drinking his glass of water. Once she finished her question, his eyes shot open and he nearly spit it out abruptly. Choking and coughing, he grabbed a table napkin and wiped his mouth and gave his mother almost an accusing glare.

"Huh!? What gave you that idea!?"

"Ah, so it is about her. So, did you see Yumiko again? She was a nice girl, as I recall from when the two of you were younger."

"Ah, well, yeah. I-I did see her again... Today... This evening."

Eleanor's eyes lit up with joy. "So you did? Wonderful! Tell me all about it."

"Well, she ended up slapping me when we first saw each other again," he explained rather bluntly. "Then proceeded to order me around."

"So the usual between you two. I see. Sounds about right."

"Huh? What's that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing, dear. Not unless you are the type to be submissive, then that may be a problem. Then again, you never seem to have a problem when it is Yumiko telling you what to do."

He deadpanned. "You make it sound like I'm some lost puppy to her." Y/N cleared his throat, "I'll have you know that I do complain to her that I don't like to be treated like a servant... Sometimes."

"So you do like being her servant?" Eleanor quirked her eyebrow toward him, sighing. "Love between young people can sure be a mystery and a confusing thing."

Y/N coughs. "H-Huh? Wh-What do you mean 'love'?"

Eleanor facepalmed. "Darling son of mine, I'm not dumb. I've seen the way you've looked at her. Especially when you two are younger."

"Right... How... Did you figure that out exactly?"

"Call it a mother's intuition." A smug grin plagues her face. "After all, a woman doesn't reveal her secrets."

Y/N merely hung his head low. He couldn't hide anything from his mother. Well, maybe not everything. There were still things he was able to hide.

---

A couple of days had passed. Today was the day he would be starting his new school, Sobu High. This would also be the same school where he'd see Yumiko as well.

He couldn't lie to himself, Y/N was quite curious as to how Yumiko was fairing at this new school. From past experiences from grade school, Yumiko acted so pompous that not many wanted to be friends with her. So throughout grade school, he was really her only friend. To say that he was curious to meet her new friends was quite the understatement for Y/N L/N.