Chapter 65: The Unification

Start from the beginning

"Geef!" Zora exclaims again, unable to stop now that she's learned it.

Astra grins at Din, her joy insurmountable. When she takes a look at Grogu, the radiance within her starts to dim. Grogu's ears are lowered in what Astra can only assume is some type of embarrassment. She goes to reach for him, but Din's gentle in stopping her. He instead takes the lead on picking up Grogu and tucking him into his elbow, holding Grogu's tiny three-fingered hand between two of his fingers.

"Your time will come, Grogu," Din assures their little one. "Remember, species age differently."

Grogu's ears rise again at his father's words. He coos and leans his head closer to Din in wordless gratitude and affection. Astra can't stop beaming at them, her mind racing with daydreams of just how often she'll get to have moments like these in a home of their own once this adventure ends.

Greef takes them all the way to his office, where he's quick to get some snacks for the two hungry Djarin children. They sit together on a table in the room while Greef talks to Din and Astra and calls for the gift he'd promised. The doors to his office open and Astra's jaw nearly drops at what—rather, who—walks inside.

"IG-11?" Astra breathes. After the disaster that was their last attempt at reviving the nurse droid, she thought he was gone for good.

When the droid gets closer, it becomes more apparent what had actually been done to their old friend. One of the Anzellan droidsmiths sits within his middle, his tiny arms moving IG-11's body with two levers. Din's helmet swings towards Greef. "What did you do to IG-11?"

"No, that's IG-12 now," Greef insists, his excitement palpable. "Do you like him?"

Din fully faces Greef with his helmet tilted. "Do I like him?"

"Don't worry," Greef says with a wave of his hand. "He's safe."

Din's visor assesses the droid standing in front of him. Astra keeps herself near their children to put him at ease. "You're sure?"

"Well, the Anzellans stripped IG down to his base motor functions," Greef explains. "They removed his memory circuit. The pilot provides cognition."

The Anzellan reaches for a button beside one of the levers. "Yes," IG's voice says.

Din glances at Greef before he shares a look with Astra. She raises her brow and shrugs, leaving it up to him. Their attention is drawn over to Grogu when he doubles over in laughter and stands to his feet. Zora gives his robe a confused tug, but Grogu continues to move forward anyway, especially as the Anzellan makes his way out of IG.

"Think of it this way," Greef says. "It's more like a vehicle. Hmm?" Astra catches Din's uncertain glance as he watches Grogu move towards IG. "It's safer that way."

The Anzellan passes Grogu on the table and keeps a large distance between them. "Bad baby," the Anzellan squeaks. "No squeezie!" Grogu just laughs and continues on.

"Well, he's too little to operate this thing," Din argues. With the protective father within him fully activated, Din starts to reach for Grogu.

"No, no, no, no," Greef stops him with a gentle grasp on his arm. "Let's see if he fits."

Din sighs and looks at Astra. "Rid'ika?" His call for her is like a plea for help.

Astra fights her smile and shrugs at him. "Greef and the Anzellans spent a lot of time on this," she reminds him. "We should at least try it out."

Din returns her shrug, his visor falling to his feet as he watches them shift around on the floor. Astra offers a hand of comfort upon his armored shoulder.