Chapter 65: The Unification

Start from the beginning

The clanging of the Armorer's tools draws everyone's attention to her. She stands on a few cargo crates outside of one of the tents, the glow of Nevarro's daylight illuminating her golden helmet. "Welcome, fellow Mandalorians," her regal voice announces. "We invite you to make camp."

The Mandalorians on both sides share a few uncertain glances. Astra crosses her arms over her armored chest and gives those around her a warning look.

"Let us prepare a feast for our guests."

Bo-Katan and the Armorer share a nod of respect before the Mandalorians get to work. The tribe starts to prepare the feast while the others unload the supplies from the fleet and prepare to make camp. It's only Axe and Paz who linger, staring each other down as if they have a long history with one another. Bo-Katan gives Axe's cuirass a hard shove to make him stand down.

Before Din or Astra can help with anything, Greef's voice calls out to them from a distance. "Mando!" He gestures with a gloved hand to Astra. "Mrs. Mando!"

Astra laughs along with Greef while they walk to meet each other in the middle. Greef extends a hand towards Din first, engaging him in a friendly handshake.

"Welcome back, my friend." Greef reaches for Astra's hand next. "Welcome back." He smiles at Zora in Din's arms. "And welcome back to you, too!" He takes her tiny hand and gives it a small shake, drawing a giggle from her. Greef's attention is then drawn to the ships that surround them. "That's quite a fleet you've assembled." He lifts a bottle in his hand, something familiar that makes Astra raise her brow. "Little welcome gift to celebrate our neighbors." Greef hands the bottle off to Din and taps it. "That's all the way from Coruscant, so you might wanna wait for a smaller gathering before you open it."

Din nods in gratitude and lowers the bottle at his free side. "Thank you."

"That's not the only gift I have for you." Greef's words cause Din and Astra to share a curious glance before the magistrate leads them towards the town. Din hands the bottle of wine to Astra when Zora tries to reach for it. Zora begins to whine in dismay, but a gentle shush from Din makes her stop. Astra examines the bottle of wine with a lift of her brow.

"I wonder when we can put this to use," Astra says to Din. Her words are low and meant just for him.

"I already have an idea," Din assures her, setting his free hand over the part of her back not covered by her jetpack. He tilts his helmet at Astra before she can question him. "I'll tell you about it later."

Astra nods and places her focus back on the way ahead. Greef's conversing the best he can with Grogu, whose pod floats at his side. Din's started encouraging Zora to practice her speaking once again, his gloved finger pointing at their small group.

"Who's that?" Din asks their daughter, pointing at Astra.

"Mama!" Zora all but screeches in delight. Astra bubbles over with affectionate laughter.

"That's right!" Din gives her tiny hand a squeeze and points at Grogu in the pod. "And who's that?"

"Gogu!" Zora answers with a clap of her hands. "Bubber!"

"Yeah, baby girl! Very good." Din taps her cheek with his gloved hand before he points at Greef. "And who's that?"

Zora's brow scrunches in focus. "G... Gr..."

"That's it. Take your time."

"Gr... Grrr..."

"Greef." Din's utterance of their friend's name causes his head to turn around and face the adorable duo. "Grrr-eef."

Zora takes a few excited breaths. "Geef!"

"Yeah!" It's Greef who responds this time, reaching out to ask for Zora. Din hands her off to him, leaving both him and Astra to watch as Greef raises a hand for Zora to hit against her own. "You know your Uncle Greef, don't you?"