Chapter 17: And whether pigs have wings

Harry stopped and turned toward the voice.

"Yes?" he asked.

"It's Auror Bones," the voice supplied helpfully.

"Er, hello," Harry said, surprised as no one had told him that the Auror would be meeting them at the pub.

"I've something for you," she said in a soft voice. "Do you have a minute?"

"Yes?" Harry said.

"May I guide you to a table? Where we can sit?"

"Sure, or I can follow you," Harry supplied.

"Oh, yes, right. With your staff," she said after a moment's hesitation. "Er, your disembodied head is a bit alarming... perhaps take the cloak off entirely?"

"Oh, right. If you don't mind, I'll just put the hood on again. Safety first," he said, echoing her words back.

"That's fine, too," she said, turning away from him, and he listened as she walked over the worn wood planks.

He asked his staff to follow her and then found a chair when they reached a far table in the corner of the pub.

"Would you like some tea?" Auror Bones asked as she gently rattled a teacup in its saucer.

"Yes, please," Harry said and placed his hands on the table so that she'd be able to see them to hand him the teacup. He looked up expectantly in her direction after he had the hot tea cup cradled between his palms, then realized she couldn't see his face... just his hands. He put down the teacup and adjusted the hood, hoping that his face was visible to her, but not the rest of the room.

"Oh, thank you. Yes, I can see your face now," she said, stirring her tea.

"It is disconcerting to talk to someone when you can't..." she trailed off. "Er. I suppose that's what it is like for you all the time. Sorry, I hadn't considered..."

"It's okay," Harry said. "I'm getting used to it. What was it you wanted?"

"Ah, right. I have this for you," Auror Bones said as she pushed something across the table.

Harry gingerly reached toward the noise... it sounded like parchment. He found a small rolled-up scroll and took it, unfurling it on the tabletop and then running his fingers over it. He found the texture of ink in even lines, but couldn't decipher it.

"Alas, it isn't in braille... it is meant for other eyes," Auror Bones explained. "This is your apparating license. It took some doing... I had to call in a few favors..." She paused when Harry made a protesting noise. "Worth it because I didn't want you to get into trouble for apparating without a license when you clearly are capable and it could save your life."

"Thank you," Harry said, rolling the parchment back up and storing it in his staff.

"Just remember that you can't apparate within Hogwarts. Trying could lead to splinching or worse," she said.

Harry cringed trying to imagine what could be worse than splinching.

"Harry, I trust that you'll use it wisely. I'm taking a risk giving this to you. You understand that if something happens, you aren't the only one who will be scrutinized?"

"Yes, ma'am," Harry said with a gulp.

"And I will accompany you and the Weasleys to King's Cross and on the Hogwarts Express," Auror Bones said with a firmness that was clearly in response to his grim expression. "It is a necessary precaution... especially as the Ministry is insisting on other measures."

"What other measures?" Harry asked.

"Measures that I'm not at liberty to discuss," she said with a finality that made Harry leave it there. "Just stick close to the Weasley's. No straying, understood?"