Chapter 9: Walking home

Shirabu was now walking home with Semi, their fingers interlocked with each others. They felt the cool breeze against their faces, the moonlit sky being their only source of light. While Semi was calm, Shirabu wasn't. Suzuki's words bothered him like crazy. He wanted to ask Semi, but he didn't want to seem pushy. 

"Kenjirou?" 

"What?" Shirabu looked up from the ground to face Semi, his hand extended, still holding onto his lover's. Shirabu was insanely trapped in his own thoughts that he didn't even realise he had stopped walking.  

"You okay?" Semi walked closer to him. Semi knew Shirabu so well that it sent shivers down his spine. He knew there was no way wriggling out of his question or else Semi would just budge him even more. He relaxed his body and faced the floor. "Well, I overheard Suzuki's conversation with Nakamura-san." Shirabu opened up, Semi listened attentively. "That whole scene was just an act." Shirabu admitted, "what? you and Akari?" Shirabu nodded. "But, Suzuki said that I'm..." Shirabu hesitated, "go on." Semi reassured him. Shirabu looked up to face his lover. He took a deep breath before facing the floor again, "she said I was way below your level and that you should be with someone like her..." 

"Seriously?" Semi immediately responded. "That bitch said that?" This caused Shirabu to look up and face Semi, completely shocked by his remark. "I'd rather die than be with her," Semi claimed, turning his head to face the left. 

 "Hey... what's your relationship with Suzuki anyway?" Shirabu asked, curiously. Semi looked into his boyfriend's eyes, they were pleading for answers. He looked down at his boyfriend's perfect soft hands as he caressed Shirabu's knuckles. He sighed before speaking, "me and Suzuki... used to date..." Semi admitted, "huh." Shirabu replied, sounding unamused. 

"Kinda expected." Shirabu shrugged,

"how so?" 

"I dunno. Popular boy and popular girl. It just makes sense." Semi stared at Shirabu, completely taken aback.

"Well, anyways-" Semi continued, "she confessed to me and I accepted. But she was talking shit about me behind my back. She used my popularity for her reputation." Semi explained. Shirabu didn't know how to respond, so he stayed silent. He wasn't the best at comforting. He was more of a person that listened, not a person who gave advice like a therapist. All he could utter was a small 'sorry.' He felt incredibly guilty knowing that he couldn't find the right words to comfort Semi.

"Did you... ever love her?" Shirabu bluntly asked, Semi took awhile to compose himself before he answered his boyfriend.

"...I did."

This caused Shirabu to face his head down. He felt bad for his boyfriend, he loved someone, but that person didn't. How was he supposed to live up to that standard of love for the ash blonde? An immense amount of guilt surged through Shirabu's veins. Knowing himself, he could hurt Semi by being ignorant and full of himself. He thought it was best if Semi loved someone else instead of him. 

"I think I'll walk home... by myself today." Shirabu spoke, pulling his hands away from Semi's.

"Huh?"

Shirabu didn't respond. Instead, he walked past his boyfriend. Should Semi even be addressed as his boyfriend at this point?

"Kenjirou?" Semi called out, not moving from his position.

Shirabu still didn't respond. Keeping his head down, he continued to walk ahead heading home while Semi stood there, completely puzzled. 

"Did I say something that hurt him?"