Recording

Near the start of training, we had to go into the recording studios to record vocals. It was really nice to see some of the cast again. The day that me and Jonah were there, Daveed Digs, Jacob Tremblay and Aquafina were all there! The three of them were in a different room doing all of the voice acting work. Me and Jonah were called into a little meeting with Alan Mencken, Rob Marshall, Lin Manuel-Miranda, and a few other executives of the movie. Our vocal coaches were also there. I took my seat. 

"Alright Hello Guys! It's so good to see you and I'm really excited for this recording session!" Rob said. We each greeted them. "Alright I'm actually going to let Lin take over now."

Lin stood up and introduced himself. "Hey guys! I'm Lin and I'm really excited to help you guys record today. It should be really fun. So we are going to be recording Wild Uncharted Waters today and that is Prince Eric's song so we usually wouldn't ask Y/n to be here, but there are so background vocals in that song that we would like you to do live! Usually we would use some pre-recorded vocals but we want to have you two in there live so that we can really get Jonah into it."  He gestured to Jonah and continued. "We actually have a, well essentially an orchestra here for you two today and that is really awesome so I'm really excited for you two to experience that." Me and Jonah exchanged a glance and he flashed a smile. 

"That sounds really exciting!" I said. 

"It absolutely is." He replied. "Alright so Rob? Do you want to share your visions for this song?"

"Oh yes of course! I already spoke to Jonah about this a little, but essentially it's very much a cry out for Ariel. Where are you, who are you..et cetera. It's very desperate and I would love to hear that in your voice. And It's a ballad so it should be very big, you know? Alright well let's get you two warmed up with your vocal coaches and y/n we are actually going to have you standing beside him while we are using the orchestra so that you can do those vocals, ok?" 

"Sounds good!" I replied. Jonah nodded his head and we left the room to go warm up. 

I've never heard Jonah sing before. 

We warmed up and we finally walked into the recording room. It was the most impressive thing I have ever seen. Rows and rows of musicians lined up with their instruments, all there for us. There were two podiums for the both of us. He had the main one, obviously, but there was one for me as well. Our sheet music and lyrics were on the podiums. 

"Are you excited?" Jonah asked.

"Yes, are you nervous? " I replied. 

"Slightly, but I'm really excited. I've actually been practicing this for a while now so I'm excited to see it come to life. And I mean, look at this orchestra! This is phenomenal!" He said. 

"You have such a way to make everyone feel better." I said. He smiled at me before turning to talk to his vocal coach. I mentally prepared myself because doing these vocals live was really stressful.

"Are we ready to start?" Rob asked. All the musicians nodded in agreement and Jonah agreed as well. I nodded my head. "Great. Alright so we are just going to go for it! Um, whenever you're ready Jonah just give us a nod and the musicians will start." 

Jonah took a moment to breathe and then nodded his head. A few seconds later the music began to play and I realized it was my cue to begin the vocals. I snapped into character and began to vocalize. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Jonah looking at me with a warm look in his eyes. That quickly ended because he had to start singing. 

"All I ever wanted, was the open sea and sky...." His voice was...amazing. You're telling me that his man is attractive, kind, warm, and can sing?  He continued to sing the first verse while I had to continue the vocals. While he sung, I couldn't help but look around at the room. A few months ago, I was just someone who went to plenty of auditions and never heard anything back. Now, I was in a room with an orchestra, singing alongside another actor. I almost began to tear up at the thought of the progress I've made. I tuned back into reality, and at this point, the song was getting really exciting and loud. It was turning into the ballad Rob said It would. Finally, it was the end of the third verse and he was belting his heart out. It was weirdly attractive. He put his heart and soul into this performance and it definitely paid. He finally finished and everyone clapped. 

"Wow. Jonah that was amazing, I think we are going to do it one more time, and that should be good." Rob said. Jonah nodded. 

"Jonah that was incredible, like, that was amazing." I said. 

"Thank you, and you sound phenomenal as well, as always." He replied. He smiled, put his headphones kind of half on, and cued the music again. I began the vocals, and we did the song again. Everyone clapped again.

 "Alright that's perfect! And that actually took less than half the time we thought it would, so y/n, do you think you might be able to record Part of Your World today?" Rob asked. 

"Yes! I've been preparing forever so I think I'm definitely ready." I replied. Rob began to ask the orchestra if they were prepared to play the song, and they all got their sheet music out. 

"Alright great! Jonah you are free to leave or you can stay and watch if you would like."

"I'll stay." He said. He nodded at me and gave me a lot more confidence than I had before. He sat down at the same table as Alan, Lin, and Rob were placed. I got everything I needed prepared and just as I nodded and was about to start singing, I froze. I couldn't speak, I couldn't move. My nerves got the best of me. I stood there for a second when I saw Jonah walking up to me. He got closer and whispered to me. 

"Are you ok? What's happening?" He asked. He touched my shoulder to comfort me. 

"I-I froze. I don't know why I think its nerves. I just froze. I screwed it up." I looked down at the ground. 

"Hey no no, you didn't screw up anything. It happens to everyone. What do you need, how could I help." He shook my elbow to get me to stand up tall. 

"Do you mind just staying up here with me?" I asked. 

"Of course not. Let me just ask Rob and stuff but yeah, I can stand at this podium if it makes you feel better?" He said. 

"It will." 

"Ok then." Jonah went over to go talk to them, and I saw several head nods, which was good. He walked back over with a smile and a thumbs up. 

"We're good to go. You got this." He said. He stood at the podium next to me as I nodded my head. The orchestra began to play and I finally was able to get words out. I began to sing. It seemed like Jonah next to me made everything easier. I got to the finale of the song and as I finished, everyone began standing up and applauding! I looked out at everyone and tears immediately began to form in my eyes. Jonah turned me to him and gave me a hug before he noticed my tears. "Hey are you ok?" He said. 

"Oh! yea it's happy tears don't worry." 

"Oh! Good." He said. He was about to say something before Rob interrupted. 

"Y/n that was outstanding. I honestly don't think we need to record any more, and I think that will do just fine. Thank you so much you two, and you guys are free to go. 

"Great, thank you!" Jonah said. We both gathered our things and walked out together. As we walked out the door he stopped me. 

"y/n,  I just want to say that that was absolutely phenomenal. I got teary eyed just watching, and listening to you. That performance is going to change lives. You have the voice of an angel." He looked into my eyes and a smile formed on his face. 

"Wow Jonah, thank you so much. That means a lot to me." I said. He walked me to my car and we parted ways. On the way home I thought about the whole day, and how supportive Jonah was of me. He Is everything that Tom isn't.  Tom was cold and Jonah was warm. Tom was unsupporting and Jonah was the complete opposite. Tom never believed in me, and Jonah gave me the courage to do anything. 

When I got home I checked my instagram to see Jonah had tagged me in a instagram post.