Not available

"What?" Brandon asked, nonchalantly. "You said you don't mind her."

Ethan inhaled deeply. Didn't Brandon know the principle of not coveting a friend's wife? Or ex-wife, for that matter? She would always be the woman his friend used to sleep with, to kiss… he shook his head. Not the time for those thoughts.

"She 's my ex-wife. Were you lusting after her while we were married, Brandon?" His eyes were casting a menacing glare at Brandon, who seemed not to notice or to care.

"Of course not. She was your wife at the time. But now, as you have well put it, she is your ex-wife." Brandon answered. "You used to say she was a bore and all, but all I saw was a care and responsible wife. She did everything for you. Among all others, you had the most docile and respectful wife. Everybody praised you for that, even if you didn't give much care or importance to it. And, on top of this, she is pretty, smart - very important. I'd hate to have an empty head like Darla by my side - easy going…"

Ethan didn't know what to say. Was she all that? All he remembered was that he used to hate when people would even mention her as his wife. It annoyed him to the core. But, yeah… she was smart, indeed. Looking at how well she was doing in such a great company, there was no denying of her intelligence. She was pretty, yes. Easy going…

He looked at Gwen, talking and laughing with Janet, so carefree. Was she always like that? He remembered how she was always silent, quiet. Maybe she was like that only with him.

Brandon was still talking about Gwen, but Ethan didn't listen to what his friend said after 'easy going'.

"Let's buy the damn tie and get out. I'm tired." Ethan finally said, interrupting Brandon.

"... Oh." Brandon said, after being interrupted in the middle of a word. He narrowed his eyes, having an idea, and raised his hand to Ethan, with his index in the air.  "Well, hold on just a sec."

Before Ethan knew what was going on, Brandon was already walking in Gwen's direction and was almost there, in fact. 'Damn it!' Ethan thought, cursing his friend for being such an ass.

"Ah, Mr. Armstrong." Gwen said when she saw him approaching her and Jan.

"Hello, Gwen. How have you been?" He asked, with a big smile on his face.

Gwen looked at Janet, who had her back to Brandon and widened her eyes, as if questioning what was that about.

"I'm good, thanks." She answered and glanced at Jan. "And you?" She asked only out of politeness. She was really not interested in knowing anything about him or to even chat with him.

"I'm fine. But I have a little problem that you might be able to help me with."

"What would that be?" Gwen asked, curious. Brandon was Ethan's best friend and for that, he never really did talk to her. He was always polite in public and that was it.

"I have an important event to attend to. I know, I am a doctor, but, since I attend some celebrities, they invited me and it is good to keep good contacts. The thing is: I need someone to go with me. And I have no one. I thought about you, back in town. Maybe it would do you good to mingle with people. Socialize."

"Ah, sorry.. but I will have to decline." She said. "But thank you for the invitation."

Ethan heard what Gwen answered and a smile formed on his lips. He didn't even notice that. he was doing that. But he cast a glance in Brandon's direction just to see his friend frowning.

"Really? Na chance?" Brandon insisted. This time, Jan decided to answer.

"She already has a partner for this party. And no, it ain't me." She smiled proudly and Brandon raised his eyebrows. He saw Ethan was approaching by the side view and he smiled inside.

"Who are you going with?" Ethan asked, frowning. Gwen finally noticed his presence and looked at him with an annoyed stare.

"None of your business." She said and held Janet's wrist. "We need to go now. Thank you for the invitation, Mr. Armstrong. And nice to see you."

Ethan blocked her way. He was way taller than her, so he could easily get in the way. She looked up at him, daring.

"Who?"  he was hissing and Gwen squinted her eyes at him.

"Sod of the way, Lennox! Or I'll call security. How nice it will be on the papers, huh?" Janet said and Ethan gave one more cold glance in Gwen's direction, before he stepped aside and let the women pass by him.

"Fuck it!" Ethan cursed and Brandon looked at him, trying to hold back the laughter. "I bet it is that idiot."

"Who are you talking about?" Brandon asked, faking innocence.

Ethan looked at him with hate in his eyes.

"Lestrange, who else? I'm sure he is doing this on purpose just to mess with me."

"Maybe he just likes her." Brandon said. "I understand why." He looked at Gwen leaving, but he was not looking exactly at her. Ethan was about to punch the man.

"Shut up, Brandon! And no, he does not like her. He doesn't even know her!"

"You don't know her at all and you like her." Brandon said just to see what Ethan would say.

"He is using her! Can't she see that?" Brandon smiled even more after hearing those words coming from Ethan's mouth. "Why are you smiling like a fool?"

"You didn't refute." He answered. "You didn't deny that you like her."

Ethan passed the conversation again and yeah, he didn't refute that. Why? He must have been too distracted to notice the meaning of Brandon's words.

"Don't be ridiculous. And Brandon?" He said, looking at his friend with a dangerous stare. "Stay the fuck away from her!"