Prologue

Helena

We thougth that the end of the world was near when the big war happened. So many experts warned us that the consequences would be fatal. Well, fatal is not the right word for what happened when those bombs rained down on the surface. Brutal maybe. Or rather devastating. Not much was left of us and the rest of human kind scattered into small communities trying to survive. 

I was fourteen when it happened. One moment I spend time with my friends at a summer camp, the next I had to run for my life and find shelter. I'm not sure, if I'm a particularly religious person but let me tell you that the only thing I did for the next few days was to pray. To pray that I survive. To pray that I will be fine. That my family, that was so far away from me at this moment was fine. For the next few weeks, I survived on what was left in abandoned supermarkets, front yards and on what I found in the woods. This time period was one of the worst. There was almost no communication left, no countries left, everyone was left to themselves. That was also the time when it started to not be safe anymore as a female person. That is why I kept to the woods. And it was the best decision I ever could have made because it was there that I met my new family. 

Hidden in the forest, in the middle of nowhere, I stumbled across a small farm and a community. It was Jilka who found me wandering through the forest and brought me in. She was really the saviour for us all. When she finished university with a degree in argiculture she wanted to start a project about substainability and bought the old farm in the middle of the woods to create an off-grid home and learn about how mankind could transform their way of living to be better adapted to nature, climate change and the new problems that arouse with it. Without her, I never would have found my save haven.