Chapter 1

Lydia wakes up to her phone ringing, the sudden sound infusing a panic throughout her body. A phone call so late could mean no good.

She reaches her phone, which sits on her nightstand, and immediately presses the 'Answer Call' button. Her stomach drops as the words pass through the phone.

"Lydia? Hi, it's Scott. Stiles-Stiles has just-he's been in an accident. You need to get to the hospital," He lets out, his breathing excessive.

"O-okay okay I'm coming."

She steps off of the bed, her entire body shaking and her mind filled with millions of ambiguous thoughts. She takes a second to catch her breath, then, with her slippers and pajamas on, sprints out the door to her car. Tears sting her eyes as he ponders the condition Stiles could be in at the moment. Is he okay? Why was Scott so out of breath? She quickly shakes those thoughts away, physically grabbing each word and throwing them out of the door.

As she nears the hospital, a depressing aura seems to fill the air. The parking lot is somewhat empty on this late Tuesday night, but Lydia can feel the dreary air slowly drifting inside her body. The negative thoughts creepily plop themselves inside her brain, and she parks quickly. She half walks, half runs towards the entrance and sees Scott and some of her other friends in the waiting room. They nod at her as she comes in.

"Where is he? Is everything okay? What's going on?" She's shouting now, causing a stir in the waiting room.

"Lydia, hey, it's okay. They aren't letting anyone except for family in. His dad is updating us."

She waits for a moment before responding, "Well? Is he alright?"

"They're not sure. He was hit pretty hard on the head and they might have to perform surgery." Scott says.

"Oh shit. Scott, I have to see him." Tears fill her eyes and she can't hold them back.

"Lydia, we all do. We're trying, okay? Please don't cry, it's okay." Despite his urgency for her not to cry, he grabs her in a hug, and she squeezes the back of his shirt as the tears roll down her face. A sob fills up in her throat before one of the doctors walks in.

"Stiles is doing alright. His dad insists that you all come in to see him," A doctor with blond hair and pale skin says, waving her hand towards the hall.

Lydia, Scott, Liam, Kira, and Malia follow the doctor to Stiles's room. Lydia wipes the tears from her face and tries to contain herself. It gets difficult once they reach his room, where he lies on the hospital bed with bruises up and down his limbs.

Lydia gasps at the sight and looks toward the Sheriff.

"It looks like he'll be okay, but they're looking at his MRI scan first." Sheriff Stilinski says.

"Is he awake?" Scott asks, walking towards his bed.

"No, but I'll leave you here." He walks out the door.

Both Lydia and Scott immediately rush to the sides of his bed, and Malia, Kira, and Liam linger near the doorway.

Hesitantly, Lydia reaches for Stiles's cold hands as more tears fall from her eyes.

"I never realized," she begins, and Scott looks up to meet her eyes "that Stiles is just as fragile as the rest of us. It doesn't seem like it, but he is probably in the most danger out of all of us, and I never saw it. I don't really know what I'm saying...but"

"Hey, it's okay."

"After Allison, it's really hard for me to see any of you get hurt," she finally admits, swallowing back a knot in her throat.

Stiles stirs on the bed and his eyes flicker open. He grunts in pain and looks around the room at his friends.

"What happened?" He croaks.

"You got in an accident, remember? They brought you here to make sure you're okay," Scott replies.

"Well, am I?"

"They're looking at your scans right now. How do you feel?" Lydia asks.

"I feel great. I'm looking at my favorite people. Hey, what are you guys doing standing awkwardly in the doorway?" He asks.

The three look at each other, and Malia responds, "We were giving you three a moment. You know, y'all are closer and everything."

An awkward silence takes place, being that Stiles and Malia had just broken up a few days ago.

Lydia clears her throat, "So, uh, do you need me to get anything from your house?"

Stiles scratches his head, then answers, "Yeah, actually. Can you get my pillow?"

She nods, pats his hand, and heads out the door.

...

Lydia sits in his room, urging herself to grab the pillow and leave. But something about it makes her want to stay and take in the smell of the boy's room. She takes a few shaky breaths before deciding that she'll write him something. She goes through his desk drawers to find some paper, but instead finds a familiar looking frame. It is the tree she drew a long time ago that led them to the parents. She hesitantly grabs it and remembers the day Aiden showed it to her in mockery.

She opens up the frame to see the drawing more clearly, but her breath catches in her throat when she discovers that it isn't just a drawing.

It's a letter.