Chapter 5: Back From the Dead

Start from the beginning

Focus Vera,

This is all happening too fast.

I've only been in this world for what...a day?

I haven't even come up with a foolproof plan yet.

"The bath is ready my lady!" Eleanor shouted from the bathroom.

I sighed, let's just take a bath first and organize my thoughts. 

---

While the bathroom was filled with steam, lavender flower petals slowly floated across the bathwater.

"Anne told me I have a letter from the royal family," I said while soaking in the lavender-scented bath water.

"Yes my lady, the Emperor requests an audience" Eleanor replied while massaging my scalp.

Well, it's not like I can ignore a request from the royal family.

Then again I could use this chance to speak to the Emperor about breaking my engagement to the second prince.

I doubt the Emperor will just accept my request but he should at least know my stance before I begin putting any plans into motion. 

One wrong step and he might just accuse me of treason,

I'll have to be careful.

"Could you help me get dressed, Eleanor?" I asked while getting out of the bath.

"I know we're going to visit the Emperor but don't overdo it,"

"I just came back from the dead after all, I might as well use this to my advantage" 

Maybe I'll score some sympathy points if I look like I'm still at death's door, I chuckled

"Of course milady" Eleanor replied as she followed me out of the bathroom.

---

After getting dressed, I made my way downstairs before overhearing a conversation in another room.

"Father, I heard the Emperor requested an audience with Ivanna," Julian said as he sat across from the Duke in his office.

"Yes, pay no mind to it"

Julian and...the Duke?

"I'm sure the Emperor just wants to wish her a speedy recovery" the Duke replied.

"How could I?"

"Who knows what she'll end up doing once she gets over there"

"Why do you think everyone speaks ill of the Hughes Duchy Father?" Julian insinuated as he crossed his legs.

Does this guy have nothing better to do?

"Ivanna has ruined our reputation and now nobody wants to associate themselves with us!"