Book 2: My Lord Saves the Citizens - Chapter 55

Start from the beginning

"Yet, they still can't compare to Aldric," Theo said.

I chuckled and said, "Well, Aldric is a mighty warrior with a mana level far surpassing the cap of a normal man, after all." I felt Aldric's gaze on me, and I shifted mine to him. Noting that little spark within those beautiful blue eyes of his, I winked at him. But of course, my flirtatious action didn't seem to affect him as he simply sat there, looking at me. Ah, it was damn hard flirting with a stoic person.

"Is there a cap for an individual mana, my lady?" Spencer asked.

Turning my attention to the man, I nodded. "It's one hundred."

"And with mana meditation and training, we can surpass that limit," Uncle Colt said.

I asked, "Are you planning on increasing your level even though you're past the cap?"

He chuckled. "Damn right, lassie. Us Templetons must go as high as humanly possible."

"I'm looking forward to seeing how high you can go, sir," I said, smiling. Turning my attention to the crowd at hand, I continued. "Now, I would like to talk a little bit about contract and subordinate."

"Contract and subordinate?" Sara asked. "What is that?"

I said, "Before I explain that I want to first touch base on healers. As we all know, those with healing ability, whether through blessing or affinity, are essential and very valuable in our community. Don't you all agree?"

"Indeed, lassie," Uncle Colt said. "You are our healer, and you are very precious in our community."

Aldric said, "Without you, most of the Norsewood people wouldn't be here today."

Everyone nodded in agreement to Aldric's statement.

I said, "I'm the Lady of Norsewood, so it is my duty to do all that I can to help the citizens, especially when they're suffering. Healers are not only important in the community, but also vital when it comes to battles and monster subjugation, too. Since I can't be everywhere at once that needs my skill, especially when we have a lot of injured ones from a raid or battle, and when we have the citizens returning to Norsewood, thus increasing our population, I think training more healers and adding them to Norsewood's public service is worthy of consideration. I've chatted with Vicky, and she came up with a sound idea, and that is forming a magic contract that allows those with blessing or affinity with the healing ability to become my subordinate. That way, even if they have low mana, they can still perform healing using mana transfer from me. They can also perform the health check test and give out medications using my magic circle, too."

Everyone looked at each other as chatter erupted, filling the room in a chaotic echo.

Theo asked, "Is that even possible? Transferring of mana and operating a magic circle that is not your own? I have never heard of anyone who has formed such a contract and has subordinates before."

Vicky stated, It can be done.

I said, "The reason we've never heard of it is because to form a contract itself, a mana of one hundred is needed as an exchange value."

"That much?" Theo said. "Then I'm not surprised as that is the cap. Giving up one hundred mana simply to form a contract is akin to giving up one's life itself."

"Indeed," Jacob said.

Allan said, "It is my opinion that this contract with subordinates is a sound idea, my lady. You alone taking charge of all of us, healing- and health-wise, is a burden on your shoulders, therewithal the many others you've done for us. I'm ashamed of myself that I, a mature man of Norsewood lineage, cannot even hold a candle to you when it comes to resolving Norsewood's issues."

Uncle Colt snorted. "If you say you're ashamed, Allan, then I'm of greater shame. Aldric left me in charge, yet I could do naught."

Jacob said, "I'm an even greater shamed as I'm responsible for dealing with relief during disaster, yet I could do naught."

"I'm an even greater, greater shamed," Mark said.

I chuckled and said, holding up my hands, "All right. Please, no more shaming yourself. Under the circumstances, I think everyone did what they could to aid the citizens and survive. I'm just very blessed by the deities which is the only reason why I could do all those things."

And of course, thanks to my modern knowledge, too, because without it—the ideas and the things I know, had seen, and experienced—I wouldn't be able to be so quick on my feet and make use of them to make things happen.

Aldric said, "As the Lord of Norsewood, I agree with Quinn. Having healer subordinates would be a great advantage to Norsewood. Soldiers with blessing or affinity with the skill should be trained, too."

"They'll be great during a battle, even more so than the kingdom's armies with their medic teams," Theo said. "It'd be akin to having Lady Quinn herself with us."

"I concur," Connor said, nodding his head.

To me, Aldric asked, "Will you be picking subordinates after the citizens have had their secondary health check?"

I said, "No, I'll do that as I go because it'd be faster since I can recruit them during their examination. Of course, I'd give them time to think it over. Not everyone wants to be a healer."

Frances put up her hand and said, "I, uh, have affinity with the healing ability, and I don't need to think about it. Would you take me as your subordinate, Quinn?"

I grinned brightly. "Of course. I was thinking of asking you, Eden, and Sara anyway."

"Then I'll become your subordinate, too," Eden said. "It is my duty as a Templeton to serve the people."

"Me, too," Sara said.

Uncle Colt said, "It's astounding that all of the female Templetons are blessed or has affinity with the healing ability."

Gladys said, "Perhaps it is the Templetons' blood?"

The man nodded. "Perhaps."

I clasped my hands together and said, "Then we'll perform the contract tomorrow." At the three women nodding in agreement, I turned my attention to everyone else. "That is all I want to discuss in this meeting. Does anyone have any questions or anything else to add?"

Aldric said, "I have one thing I'd like to discuss with everyone. It has been over two months since Juan and his soldiers left Norsewood for aid, and they have yet to return. I'm very concerned."

"As I am," Uncle Colt said.

Mark said, "Winter is harsh out there, so perhaps they've encountered troubles and setbacks on their return?"

I said, "Then perhaps sending out drones would help? An aerial search will be useful."

Theo said, "That is a good idea. The drone can record and map the surrounding area at the same time."

Aldric said, "Then we shall send out drones, as well as scouts. With the new communicating device, keeping track of the soldiers should hold little problem."

"Then I shall give out orders tomorrow morning," Connor said.

Hence, our meeting came to an end.