Book 2: My Lord Saves the Citizens - Chapter 53

Start from the beginning

Aldric said, "How about testing it?"

Vincent said, "I'd like to see how it works as well."

I said, "Then please, take an earpiece and we'll test it out."

"I'll be the soldier on a mission," Vincent said. He picked up an earpiece and then walked out the door.

Meanwhile, everyone took one as well and placed it in their ears.

Allan said, "What's a headquarters?"

I said, "It's the hub of where the administration and operation takes place so to speak. For example, at the moment Norsewood Lodge is considered our headquarters, or HQ, because this is where we do managerial and administrations. Once we set up a proper one, then that will be our new HQ."

"I see," Allan said.

Mark said, "Tracker. How do we see it?"

"Ah, that," I said, picking up the tablet sitting on the table and showing them the screen. Against the black gritted backdrop, there were flashing red dots of light. A bunch of them were huddled close together while one was moving away.

"Oh my," Eden said. "Is that supposed to be us and that..." She pointed to the one moving. "Vincent?"

I nodded. "That's right. The earpiece tracks the wearer. Currently, we did not input our names onto the earpieces, but when soldiers use it on a mission, they will have their names or rather, code names, on it, and the people at HQ will know who it is and where exactly he is at. Currently also, we have no map, hence, the black screen."

"There are maps of Athol," Jacob said. "Unfortunately, we do not have one. But I doubt it'd be of any use in this case."

I said, "That comes to my next—"

"Hello? Hello?" Vincent's voice came loud and clear into my earpiece. "Can anyone hear me?"

There was gasping and sucking in of breaths. Everyone was stunned at just how very clear they could hear Vincent's voice.

Aldric tapped on his earpiece and then said, "We can hear you, Vincent."

"Holy heaven!" Vincent's voice came again. "Aldric! I can hear you."

Aldric said, "It appears you're pretty far away from the meeting room."

"Yes, I am," Vincent said. "I'm at the playground with the children."

"All the way there?" Mabel said.

"All right, the test works," Vincent said. "I'm coming back up."

Connor said, "If this works, then not only sending soldiers out to survey the land, but subjugating monsters and even in battles and wars, we can communicate and the flow of information..."

"Means a higher chance at winning," Aldric said.

Theo said, "What about sending help? If a soldier is down and he requests help through the earpiece, we can track him, but how do we find him? Do we follow the flashing dots until we're close?"

I said, "Yes, which is why we need a detailed map." I picked up a little gadget in the shape of a bird. "This is a drone. It has a camera and will record the land when it flies."

"Oh my," Nellie said. "How very nifty."

"Much like the surveillance cameras at the watchtower and around the lodge buildings?" Chris asked.

I nodded. "Like that, but with a much higher definition. What the drones record will automatically be stored in Vicky's database where she will form a map. This, however, will need work with Norsewood people to identify areas and locations. For example, if the lodge appears in the map, then we'll have to mark it as Norsewood Lodge. Identifying and marking locations will be especially easy when locating a lost soldier or citizen. We'll know exactly where they are and can head straight there without time wasted."