Chapter 11: Awkward Conversations

Have you ever been in a conversation where you would rather hit yourself with a frying pan? That was my conversation with Dallas. He had a thick wall of bricks surrounding him so that you couldn't even see his thoughts on the world. I didn't mean that he was hiding his emotions because he had already told me about his parents' death. I meant that I couldn't read his mind. I was new to this kind of stuff so I tried to concentrate harder and longer. It still didn't work and it bothered me.

Dallas and I sat there in silence and then finally I got the courage to say something, "So, do you have any ideas on the book?"

We still were working on characters because we were trying to make it as detailed as possible. I was glad that we had until the end of the year.

"Yes I do actually," he got up and sat down next to me on the couch. I died on the inside as he grabbed his laptop and clicked on the document we've been working on for a few days now, "I've been working on the character descriptions for Laney."

Laney was our main character that would move to the small town. So far she is fifteen and has black hair and dark brown eyes. We also want her to have a special ability. That's all we have.

"That's great! What do you have so far?" I asked.

"Well I was thinking Laney could be a mind reader," he said. I froze and turned pale, "Her whole family could have special abilities but she could have the power to look into other people's thoughts."

"That sounds great! Maybe we could work on the first chapter now so we could get a head start," I offered. For a rebel outcast, he was really good at writing and keeping up with his schoolwork. Needless to say, I was impressed.

He nodded, "Sure let me grab a notebook really quick."

He stood up and went over to the door and tried to opened it. I had forgotten that Charlotte locked the doors from the outside so we were stuck in there.

"Did Charlotte lock the door?" he asked with a sigh.

"Yeah, I think she did," I frowned.

"Damn it ," he mumbled and looked over at the dining room door, "Maybe she didn't lock that door."

He walked over to that door and attempted to open it when I got a text.

'How's it going in there? Am I gonna be an aunt anytime soon ;)'

Oh my gosh, Charlotte! I must have said something because Dallas looked over at me and gave me a weird look.

"Is everything going alright over there?" he chuckled at my surprised expression.

"Yep! Peachy with a side of keen," I fake smiled, but he didn't buy it.

Dallas looked down at my phone and smirked as he grabbed it out of me hands before I could do anything. I tried to grab it but he held it over his head and he is a lot taller than me by a foot and three inches. And to my absolute horror, he read the text Charlotte sent me.

"Well isn't that something!" he smiled and looked down at me after he read it a couple of times.

I gave a fake laugh, "Yeah."

He handed me my phone with a laugh, "That's Charlotte for you."

"Yeah, she's something," I sighed.

We sat down on the couch and started brainstorming. The first few chapters are really important but really hard to write.

A few hours went by and we weren't even don with half of the chapter and it was dinner time

"I'm going to go change," I got up and opened the door which was unlocked now. Charlotte probably gave it fifteen minutes and unlocked it. I half-jogged half-ran up the stairs and down the hallway so I wasn't late and went in my room.

I quickly switched into a dark blue sweater and dark jeans. I looked better in dark colors.

I ran back down to the dining room and sat down in between Dallas and Wes. Pam walked in with a plate of steaks and plate of baked potatoes.

"I'll help you set the table, Pam," Elly said and walked into the kitchen.

"Thank you so much, Elly," Pam smiled as she set a bowl of dinner rolls in the middle of the table, "James, didn't I tell you about putting your elbows on the table is rude."

"Sorry, ma'am. Won't happen again," James smiled innocently and laughed with David.

"So, how was your day, Lena?" Charlotte wiggled her eyebrow with a smirk. I kicked her foot under the table, "Oww!"

"It was fine, why do you ask?" I asked.

"Oh you know, just making sure," she smiled and took a bite of potatoes and instantly scowled, "I forgot the butter and sour cream. Can you pass me the butter, Lena?"

I handed her the dish of butter and took a bite of steak. I felt someone kick my foot underneath the table and I looked down to see who's foot it was. It was Dallas. I sat up in my chair and scowled at him. He just smirked and stole a piece of my steak.

"Awww! You guys are adorable! I'm going to get my camera to start a photo album of you guys! What's your ship name gonna be? Dalena? Lenallas? This is so exciting," Charlotte squealed and ran out of the dining room with Bonnie.

"Wait guys, you didn't finish your dinner," Elly called.

David and James were laughing and messing with their food, Wesley looked like he was going to shoot someone, and Dallas was still smirking.

"Where did everyone go?" Pam asked as she walked in with a Jell-o dessert.

"Bonnie and Charlotte saw Dallas steal some of Lena's steak so they went to plan their wedding," David said and James laughed.

"I didn't know you were dating," Pam said in a mom-voice.

"They aren't," Wesley got up and stormed off.

"Dessert, anyone?" I asked.