Chapter 39 - The Proposal

Start from the beginning

I looked around. The cameras were on, the officials took notes and focused on the specifics, Ryan stood reading over a piece of paper and fixed his tie. The king and queen sat with the rest of the staff in the chairs in front of the platform. Music played softly and candles burned.

I sighed taking it all in.

"Time," an official reported to us and motioned to the platform.

I shook my head slightly, but stepped forward onto the floor.

"We'll stay friends no matter what, alright?" Amelia whispered.

"Yes," I squeaked slightly.

She squeezed my hand and Ryan came forward. He kneeled on one knee and opened a small box to reveal the ring.

The selected ring.

It shined with diamonds and gold. It was absolutely breathtaking and I gasped to take it in.

"I love you," he began slowly and everyone fell silent.

A tear already slipped its way down my face, "You mean the world to me and I could never imagine my life without you. Whenever I am with you, I'm on cloud nine, and honestly, the floating feeling you give me is something I could never receive with anyone else," he voice cracked and tears streamed out.

I could tell that he wasn't only happy about proposing to me, but also was sad to let go of such a sweet a friend as Amelia. Tears burst through me as well, along with Amelia.

"From the moment I saw your form, I knew..." He tried to croak, "you were a keeper. Listen, I can not put into words how much you mean to me, but I'm trying my best," he chuckled and wiped his face with his sleeve, "I could not ask for a better girl. Despite the legitimate sense, you are my princess. And I love you."

I looked down and then over to Amelia who was crying but had the biggest smile on her face.

"Will you marry me?" He raised the ring.

Here it comes. The anticipation sucked at me.

"Amelia?" He squealed.

• • •

I woke up in my room, laying in my bed. My maids packed bags and boxes as they stifled sniffles and cries.

"What happened?!" I screamed.

"Emily-"

"Lady!" I screamed again.

"Emily, please-"

Everything in the room spun around. Chelsea and Karen were blurred and my head felt heavy. I sobbed and sobbed and sobbed.

"What happened?!" I screamed again and cried uncontrollably.

"Prince Ryan proposed," Karen sat down next to me.

"To Amelia," Chelsea added.

I continued to cry. I knew it. Why?

"You passed out, Emily. Guards had to bring you to your room."

"Lady!"

"You are no longer a selected. You are Emily," Chelsea tried to shout over me.

"Out!" I scream again until my throat was raw.

They left crying. And Ryan walked in crying.

"Emily, we have to talk."

I buried my face in the pillows.

"Please do not be upset. What I did was completely up to me and you need to give me the chance to explain."

"You have three minutes," I sobbed.

He sighed, "I'm sorry. I didn't feel the passion between us anymore. All the kisses I gave you... they weren't feeling real anymore. What I did with you last night... I tired to see if we were still alive with each other. And it proved we weren't. I'm sorry. But what I missed with you, I found in Amelia. And I am in love with her."

It hurt. To hear anything he'd have to say. I cringed at the words and said nothing back.

"I know it hurts. But please don't spend our last moments together mad at me."

"You think I'm mad?!" I sat up, "I am far from mad. I'm furious. I'm devastated. What you did to me hurt like hell. I still felt it! I still felt the passion! How do you not? I need you. I need you."

"Emily, I can't love you. I don't."

My face heated and my eyes were bloodshot. The room still spun and he face was a blur. Eyeliner and mascara dripped down my face.

"You are a liar. ... And I want you out of my room.!" I said sternly and dropped my head in my hands.

As he headed toward the door, I stopped him, "Wait! ...I hope you and Amelia are very happy together."