Chapter 35

It was around 9:00 at night. My maids weren't here and I had grown tired. I was ready for bed, but as much as I tried, I simply could not sleep. The reason? Ryan had taken full advantage of my thoughts. Why did he run in here, kiss me, and then run out? Something feels wrong and I intend to find out.

I wasn't going to wait around and see if Chelsea and Karen would come back first. I grabbed a long robe to place over my nightgown and slipped on my slippers. My crutches were under each arm and I was ready to set out. Honestly, I had no idea where I'd be going, or even if I was going to leave, but I decided I needed a little adventure. Ryan seems to think so.

Of course everyone's goal is to keep their lover wanting more, correct? Ryan has achieved that goal. I definitely want more, and I will look for him to find out what exactly it is that I want.

I crutched to the door and pealed it open; carefully closing it behind me as well. The hallways were dark, but still very much alive. There were footsteps and voices humming. You could hear the crickets from outside the open windows. Mostly everyone was still awake, although, there were no voices.

I decided my best option was to keep myself hidden. After all, I am still supposed to be 'recovering'.

Knowing I would probably stumble over and fall down the stairs, I made sure no one was in sight and popped into the elevator.

"Lady Emily?" A voice asked.

I gasped and turned around; startled. One of Amelia's maids stood in front of me, the one that took my book back up to my room one time.

"Oh, hello," I sighed trying to play my rebellious adventure off.

"Are you alright?"

"Yes... why wouldn't I be?" I stared at her.

Before she could answer, the elevator door opened to the first floor.

I limped off and she walked quickly around a corner. I crutched my way past the main entrance; placing my crutches in front of me and swinging my legs behind.

I "walked" down an unfamiliar hallway with many rooms down it. From one room, I could hear two voices laughing and agreeing on something, using the words "correct," "okay," and "yes." One of the voices sounded distinctively like Ryan.

I pressed up against the side of the wall and peaked my head inside.

"Of course, sir. I totally understand," an official nodded to Ryan.

I could only see Ryan's back since he was facing away from me.

"Alright."

"Goodnight, Prince Ryan."

"You as well," he nodded respectfully.

He turned to walk out of the room. I scurried a little ways away behind the wall right around the corner.

I could see his back again walk further down the hallway. I didn't know whether to follow him or ask the official what they were talking about. But before I could make a decision, my feet took me into the small room the official was in.

"Lady Emily?" He asked looking up from a bunch of scattered papers, "what are you doing here?"

"Was Ryan here?" I asked. My voice sounded high and curious.

"You just missed him. He was here a moment ago. Are you looking for him?"

"Somewhat," I puffed.

"Oh, alright. Although, even if he was here, you have no permission to be here during a business-like discussion."

"I'm sorry... I didn't-"