5. Second Thoughts

As Akshara entered Abhimanyu's cabin, the world slipped from beneath her feet. There was blood on the floor and a mirror was broken. Then she looked at Abhimanyu whose cheeks were red and hands and face were covered in blood. She immediately understood what would've happened in the room and ran to hug him without thinking of anything.

"I'm sorry! I'm so sorry Abhimanyu. All this is happening because of me!" She cried as she held his injured wrist and gently caresses his red cheeks.

"Ahhhh" Abhimanyu squealed immediately frightening Akshara even more.

"Sorry sorry! I know I have hurt you a lot. Please let me take care..." She cried as guilt overtook her senses.

Abhimanyu hated people...or particularly Akshara sympathising with him or blaming herself. He freed his hands from Akshara's hold and maintained a respectable distance from her.

"Hey! It's... nothing. I just couldn't solve a case and my anger clouded in so..... I mean you already know how I cannot manage my severe anger issues and that's why.. it's all my fault and I don't know why you are saying sorry??" He laughed mocking himself.

Akshara could see he's lying in the broad daylight. But she couldn't tell him about her conversation with his therapist and make him more concious around her.

She collected herself and went to Abhi's drawer searching for the first aid kit. She puts the bandaid around his hand and some ointment on his face and then leaves the cabin, controlling her tears.

________________________________________

As she walked in the corridor, she could realise her heart is melting for Abhimanyu. She had started re thinking all her descisions and how she has hurt him when he was already going through the worst.

Abhimanyu was also thinking about what all Akshara saw in the cabin. He found it fishy that Akshara didn't really ask any questions after his stupid excuse but then he thought she just doesn't care. It was for humanity's sake that she showed the concern, just like she did when he had that accident. He can't be delusional again and he has a lot other things to think about which is mostly giving a better life to Akshara from here.

___________________________________________

"Mummaaa" Akshara heard his little one's voice. She quickly wiped her tears and turned in his direction. He jumped in her arms and she kisses his cheeks.
"Where were you mumma? I was looking for you!" Abhir pouted.
"Ohh I just went to meet your Papa in his cabin. What happened?"
"Mumma you know everyone here loves Papa so much. All his patients, their family members, their children, the staff and their family members too, everyone loves Papa! These people call him an angel doctor. The one who saves lives and spreads happiness. This new friend that I just made told me when Papa did his operation, he didn't feel any pain, he always speaks good things to him and makes him feel confident. I just feel so proud to be his son and I want to be like him in future!" Abhir's eyes beemed with pride and so did Akshara's.

Abhimanyu was hearing this from a distance and suddenly all his pain faded away. His kid admires him. He felt like he won at life!

"I know baby! Your Papa was always the most popular and talented doctor of Udaipur! Not just this, he still holds the recording for getting the highest marks in mbbs exam. So obviously...."
"Stopp Aksharaa" Abhimanyu intervened smiling, almost forgetting everything that happened before seeing his perfect family infront of his eyes.
"She's just being kind. I'm not the best doctor, there are a lot like me!" He smiled.
"He's just being modest!" She remarked.
"I know mumma. If all the doctors were like him, why was he being appreciated the most!"
"I-"
"Stop it Papa! You're the best and we know it! Right mumma?"
Akshara looked at Abhimanyu and Abhir and just smiled.

Abhimanyu took Abhir from Akshara's arms. "C'mon junior there's a lot to see right now" he ran in the corridors with him while Akshara ran behind them.

Dr. Rohan was noticing all this and could feel that his Abhimanyu Sir's family is probably coming back to normal. He just prayed that it stayed the same.

___________________________________________

As Abhira reached home with Abhir, smiling and giggling, they were met by Shefali who looked equally happy to see them together.
"Abhi, Akshara... Shivu might be coming to see us soon!"
"Ohh it's so long since I met him.. when is he coming??" Abhimanyu exclaimed.
"In an hour or two!"
"Wow!! I...I toh met him years ago.. will he even recognise me??" Akshara too asked. She was excited but there was a pinch of sadness in her tone.
"Actually we never told Shivu about you because... you know it's difficult to explain these kids.. but i'll make sure he remembers his akshu cha- i mean his childhood best friend akshu!" Shefali tried to assure her. Akshara smiled.
"Mumma papa... Who is shivu??" Abhir asked.
"He's your elder brother, your cousin. Your badi mumma shifali's son!" Akshara replied.
"Ohh I'm so excited to meet him!!" Abhir jumped with excitement and ran to his room for making a welcome card for him, something he loved doing!

___________________________________________

Abhimanyu and Akshara entered their room. Abhimanyu sat on a chair and held his wrist with the other hand. Akshara noticed that the bandaid had cond out because he was holding Abhir in his arms for a long time.

"Abhimanyu how careless you are! It's not even 2 hours since I've put this bandaid and look at it's condition!"
"Akshara stop whining like a typical Indian wif- I'm sorry...."
Akshara for a change laughed instead of being awkward.
"What?"
"Okay I admit I have started whining a little too much in these years. Probably took a few of your character traits!"
"You mean I always whine??" Abhimanyu acted to be offended.
"Not now... But c'mon you used to!"
"Noo I didn't!!"
"Okay fine doctor birla. Can I do your first aid now?" Akshara accept defeat.
"Hey Akshara...you don't need to do all this. You're here for Abhir and I'm pretty much aware of that. Taking care of me, showing concern, this first aid and all is not your responsibility...and trust me I'm used to this life. Please don't spoil me again, it was hard but I have learnt to live without your love." Abhimanyu's tone was serious but it almost felt as if he was pleading to protect his heart from falling in that trap again.
"But Abhimanyu, I'm always there with you now..." Words left her mouth even before she could realise what she has said.
"Huh-"
"I mean... I have no plans of leaving Birla house now. Abhir is so happy seeing this new family, he loves you and really wants to stay with his dad.. so it's okay if you get habitual of me again" she tried to laugh at it.
"It's not just about being habitual to you, it's about giving myself hopes.." he smiled through his pain. "And although I understand whatever you said for Abhir, but trust me if any day you feel like you have to leave from here and find a better life partner for yourself and a father figure for Abhir, just tell me first! I will make sure you get all your happiness this time!" He smiled.

Akshara just kept looking at him and realised how precious this man was. She judged him a little too quickly. Abhir was lucky to have him as his father and she was lucky..... because he cares for her and respects her. Yes. That's it. That was their only relation.

__________________________________________

Author's note: hello guys, i know i ghosted once again because my abhira heart was shattered after akshara's confession to abhinav. but yesterday's good news brought me back! 🫶