3. New Day, New Start

Akshara woke up early in the morning. She looked at the alarm clock and it was just 6 am.
"Abhi must be awake by now." She thought to herself.

She got up and went towards Abhimanyu's room. The door was open. She peeped inside and saw Abhir cuddled up with Abhimanyu. Her small baby almost hid in his big biceps. They were sleeping together in the same room where she and Abhimanyu dreamt of their kids, where they planned thousands of activities that they'll do together. One of them was cuddling together as a family every night. A small smile crept on her face. Abhimanyu still wasn't awake and she thought he's probably having the best sleep of his life, beside his son.

Guilt started overpowering her senses as she stood there for some more time. Maybe Abhimanyu wasn't a bad person at all. Maybe he didn't deserve to live away from his son for 6 whole years. Maybe she wronged him and Abhir both. The small smile changed into small tears. She hated thinking about this. She wanted to leave her past behind but maybe this was just not possible, specially now, when they're living in the Birla mansion.

Just then Abhir sneezed hard making Akshara come out of her trance and Abhimanyu waking up. She quickly wiped her tears and ran to Abhir.
"Betu are you okay?" She asked.
"He just sneezed Akshara. Tumhara beta hai. Cannot tolerate the AC probably!" Abhimanyu joked, half asleep.
"Hahaha." she mocked laughter. "Abhimanyu Birla if it was possible to keep the temperature below 16 degree you would've done that too. Will you ever learn?"
"Learn what? Adjusting AC temperatures?" He sat up, irritated.
"Mumma Papa can you both go out and fight?" Abhir pulled his duvet upto his face leaving Abhimanyu and Akshara with their heads down.
"Akshara walked towards Abhimanyu's side." Give me the AC remote, I have to lower down the temperature!" She whispered.
"Akshara its just one sneeze and you're so concerned? Maybe its just a random one!"
"Abhimanyu Birla, I know he acts like your exact replica 99% of the times but he's my kid too. And he cannot tolerate this!"
"Oh god Akshara be for real? He has been raised up in Kasauli which in my opinion is a hill station?"
"So what? I used to make him wear 5 layers of clothes when the temperature used to drop down and then send him out! Right now he's just wearing a tee. Are you stupid or just pretend to be one? God save Abhir from a father like you!" Akshara said, half sarcastically and half jokingly.

Abhimanyu sat up on the bed and she could see him feeling guilty and suddenly realised the impact her words might have had on him.
"Abhimanyu I-"
"Its okay Akshara. I know I'm not a bad father and I believe I have raised Ruhi well. But with Abhir, I am still learning few things everyday. i was arguing just because I like our banters. Its fun because I feel you are your real self there."
"I am sorry."
"Sshhh. Here's the remote. Adjust the temperature." He handed it to her at she set it at 25 degree celsius.

"25 DEGREES WHAT? ITNA TOH BAHAR KA TEMPERATURE HOGA AKSH-" Abhimanyu was shouting again but suddenly got interrupted.
"Papa, Mumma. LET A KID SLEEP?" Abhir peeked out of his duvet, irritated.
"Sorry sorry" they both said in unison.

Abhimanyu was wide awake by now and decided to go and take a bath. He went to his closet and took out his clothes and was about to enter the bathroom when he saw Akshara was still standing there, closely observing which was once theirs, once again.

"You can sleep for some more time Akshara. Only me and mom are awake by this time."
"It's okay. Even I can't sleep now so I might take a bath and see the breakfast."
"Hey Akshara, you don't need to worry about the breakfast. I mean the cook will get it ready by the time we go down."
Before Akshara could say anything, he added "and they cook things other than bread jam too!" he fake smiled.
"Hahaha. But I toh like bread jam only in breakfast."
"Huh? No one eats that for breakfast Akshara. Are you a kid?"
"No one? Please Mr Abhimanyu Birla I don't understand which world you live in?"
"I don't know. But no one should be eating that for breakfast, ideally."
Akshara looked at his face. He was adamant and would readily quip back the moment she tried to argue further.
"Okay fine. You win, I lose." Akshara said, defeated.

She did not mention but Abhimanyu's antics were amusing her way too much. He looked like the Abhimanyu she fell in love w-
"Akshara, I have to tell something to the family today. Please come down by 9 o clock?"
"Is everything okay?"
"Apparently."
Akshara knew something is fishy. But anyways time would tell. So she didn't argue further.

--------------------------------------------------

Abhimanyu got ready and finally framed what to say infront of the family. He was nervously fidgeting his fingers while he was on his way to the hall and Akshara saw him.

"Abhimanyu, everything will be alright." She gave the assurance he probably needed at that time and the little smile was definitely cherry on the cake. She cares for him, she still feels something for him, she's still there- ABHIMANYU STOP ASSUMING, his brain reminded him.
"I hope so."

------------------------------------------------

"Abhimanyu, why have you called all of us here? And where is Arohi since morning?" Manjiri asked.
"She- she's in Mumbai."
"WHAT? MUMBAI? All this because you brought thay filthy woman-"
"Not another word maa! It's her choice and we're no one to stop her. She owes us nothing."
"It's not her choice Abhi. You compelled her to take this descision by brining that-"
"Her name is Akshara and I would appreciate if that name is taken with all due respect in this house."
"Abhimanyu that's not the point!"
"So the point is that for once in life I have chosen myself and my happiness. My happiness lies in my son Abhir 'and akshara, his brain added' and Abhir's happiness lies in Akshara. I have always lived for others. I always prioritised this family above everything and can I not expect my little one to live happily with me. I would have mended all the relationships even if Arohi and Ruhi lived here but if they choose to live separately, we are no one to stop them. If Arohi thinks that she can give a better life to her daughter in Mumbai, I am going to support her decision. She is a mother and she knows what is the best for her kid.
"Abhi you are saying all this because it goes in the favour of adjusting this woman in our house."
"Again her name is Akshara and I'm explaining for the last time that if you want your son and grandson you have to respect my descision maa."
"You're being selfish Abhimanyu!"
"You know what maa you are right. I am being selfish and why can I not be when this whole world has always been selfish to me? Why can I not choose my happiness for once? I never got my father's love. Arohi never let me love Ruhi as my own daughter even if I wanted to. Abhir is my kid and I will do anything for him now!"

Manjiri could not believe this. She looked at Akshara who was standing on the staircase with blood red eyes and stormed off. Abhimanyu too looked at Akshara and straightway went to her.

"Akshara, just forget that you heard anything. We have to go for Abhir's school admission na?"
Akshara just nodded.
"Chalo go and get junior ready. We have to leave in half an hour."
"Okay." She nodded again.

-----------------------------------------------

Authors Note: No one will talk about how silly abhira's banter looked. I wrote it at 3 am yesterday 🚶‍♀️