Chapter 10 (Part 2)

~~~

You only know what I want you to

~~~

Conversations are inherently human .

Regardless of the fancy words we pepper them with, conversations revolve mainly around the task of delivering information, albeit with bias and emotion and influence blended in. But perhaps that's the trouble - for all their intrinsic emotion, conversations can be just as treacherous as Moments - conveying one thing and encapsulating another, and one can only wonder if words are as much our friends as they are our foes.

Interestingly, it is in this game of words that most important things come to pass, most celestial plans come to fruition, and most wandering minds choose a definite path. Undeniably, inherently human.

...

"Why would he say that?" Amelia cried out, and Emily searched for the appropriate words.

"Umm", was all she could come up with in the moment.

Visibly distraught, Amelia moved past her and collapsed on the couch, her fingers weaving through her hair in frustration as Emily silently dithered beside her, at an absolute loss.

If conventional friendships had a set route map, theirs had followed a seedy back alley and lost all sight of their destination.

Breathing deeply, Emily attempted to distract herself from such thoughts of discomfort and settled meekly beside the brunette, and put a tentative arm around her shoulders.

"Ames, calm down."

Judging by Amelia's widened eyes, it wasn't the right thing to say.

"Calm down? Calm down?" Calming down a little, Amelia pressed on, "Did you hear what he said? 'Take care, Amy across the Atlantic' - why the fuck did he have to say that?"

...

"Why the fuck did you have to say that?" Sarah said loudly, almost upsetting her coffee mug.

"Why the fuck didn't he have to say that", Armin said in an undertone. Sarah swatted him on the arm in response.

Adam stayed silent, his arms folded across his chest.

"Did she say something?" Sarah asked with wide-eyed wonder, as Armin rolled his eyes, "Get over it Montgomery, she's gone." he shot back contemptuously, not noticing the pain that passed over Sarah's face.

...

"He's gone, I'm over it - I mean, I get it." Amelia muttered, more to herself than anyone else, and Emily leaned in closer.

"Ames, it's okay if you're hurting."

"But it's not", Amelia shot back tremulously, "it's been two years;I left him!"

...

"It's been two years; she left him", Armin continued, oblivious (not uncharacteristically) to Adam stiffening beside him, staring at slack-jawed Sarah who stood silently gaping at him, "Maybe it's time we stop treating her name like taboo and taking her side in every argument, yeah?"

Sarah lowered her head, defeated, and Armin pressed on, relentless, "You should've seen the look on her face, Sarah - like she'd seen a ghost; that's what he gets for a take care? It's been two bloody meetings - not once did she stay back to even utter hello - that's what we get after all this time? But no, nobody gets to talk about Amelia Barnett because she used to be Sarah's best friend, no matter what she - "

"That's enough Armin", interjected Adam, quietly but firmly, and Armin (not uncharacteristically) complied.

...