Chapter 2- A Technical Case

Start from the beginning

Mrs. Wang's hands gripped harder on her mug as she reached the peak of her story, "But I think this woman wants more from my son- from my son's company. I believe she's after my son's company shares!"

Mrs. Wang finished dramatically and looked at the two, expecting a reaction.

Lan Wangji's indifferent face staring back at her was probably not what she anticipated.

Mrs. Wang slumped back in her seat, visibly disappointed as she said, "But I can't let her have such a foothold in my son's company."

Lan Xichen nodded, understanding. "Mrs. Wang, is that why you made those flyers to hand out to those alphas?"

The woman nodded. She confessed, "I thought... The best way to get her out of my family was to marry her off to an alpha, after all, alphas and omegas have those kinds of bonds or whatnot. Oh, but don't worry! Even if I quite dislike that girl, I made sure to only hand them to sensible-looking alphas."

Lan Xichen smiled, "Ma'am, looks can be deceiving."

Mrs. Wang sighed, feeling a bit ashamed.

"I know. But what can I do? My son won't even listen to me anymore. That omega had him wholly under her spell. I don't understand. My son's a beta! She can't use those- what you called them, pheromones or scents to seduce him... I don't know what she's doing but I can't have her keep scamming my son..."

Mrs. Wang rambled on before gazing at two jades with an adamant look in her eyes. Lan Xichen shared a glance with his brother; he supposed this was when they stepped in.

The older jade leaned forward a bit, "Mrs. Wang, I think we may be able to help you."

Mrs. Wang looked at them doubtfully but hopefully. "Really? Are you going to bond with that omega and take her away from my son?"

Lan Xichen managed to turn his subtle cough into an ahem. He cleared his throat, "No- no, of course not, ma'am, I can't do that."

The aging beta looked confused, having no idea what her words meant. Xichen did not mind. He simply took out a business card from his jacket and slid it across the table.

"Bai Yun Consultations...?"

"At your service," Lan Xichen beamed. "Mrs. Wang, my brother and I specifically helped people with cases like yours. If you would allow us and albeit a small fee, of course."

The woman read the card again and became silent. Then Mrs. Wang looked up and said,

"If you can get that omega away from my son and get him to see her true nature, I'll pay however much you want, I'll pay thirty- no, fifty thousand*."

Lan Xichen's eyes slightly widened at the prospect of this amount of money hastily offered.

"Ma'am, why don't we see how this goes before talking about the payment?" Lan Xichen smiled, a bit fidgety about the price.

"Alright." Mrs. Wang nodded and stood up. "I'll leave it to you then, Mr. Lan."

*********************************************************************

Lan Xichen nearly tripped over the ring box that was carelessly tossed onto the floor of the fancy uptown bar.

"My friend, I believe you have dropped something," Lan Xichen said casually to the man hunched over the counter with a glass of liquor.

"You can have it."

Lan Xichen glanced at his brother who was beside him and shrugged. He picked up the box, admittedly curious. The older jade took one peep inside the box and immediately shut it close making his brother give him a look.