[Chapter Two] | A Meaningful Talk

Start from the beginning

Other than that, however, everything was quite dull and boring. Nothing of interest in his mind, really. He knows that the work his father is doing is quite critical as it can help hundreds to thousands of others. Hell, billions, even. But this was something that didn't really interest him. When it came to careers and what not, he wasn't sure what to become, and the whole time he spent with his father was to prepare him for a career he would inherit in the future. If anything, the only thing interesting during that time he spent with his father was his own despair.

However, Y/N noticed his train of thoughts were soon going down a dark turn. It didn't help that his silence only earned a persistent and expectant gaze from Yumiko, who was impatiently tapping her foot on the ground repeatedly, her arms crossed as she waited for an answer from him. Y/N couldn't blame her. She was curious. They had been separated for quite a long time and this was their first encounter, so it was granted that she wanted to know everything that had happened in their time apart from each other. But with those dark thoughts of his brewing within his mind, he didn't want to dampen the current mood they were in, the atmosphere of the coffee shop they were in was quite a happy and tranquil one. It was an atmosphere he didn't want to ruin, so he simply shook his head.

"Nothing, really. Not unless you want me to go on a whole spiel of my dad sending me to a business prep school and preparing me to take over the company one of these days."

Yumiko rolled her eyes. "Booorring. Nothing interesting happened?"

"Yup. Exactly what you said. Boring. Nothing too exciting, unfortunately." He just sighs. "I'm honestly just glad to be back here in Japan."

The blonde girl hummed.

She couldn't help but feel he was hiding something from her. When he sighed, she noticed that he had briefly looked away for a moment. But it was in that brief moment that she noticed a flash of emotion in his eyes.

Now, she couldn't quite grasp the feeling of emotion he was currently feeling, but she suspected that it was a conflicting one at least. But she wasn't sure if she should press on it. Through all the years she's known Y/N, he wasn't the best at expressing his feelings around others, but he was able to comfortably express a part of himself to a certain extent. However, with how they've grown apart in the years they haven't seen each other, she wasn't sure how comfortable he would be when it came to sharing things with her. To be quite honest, it wasn't a surprise to either of them if they weren't able to confide in things in a certain fashion they used to do. People change over time. It could be a good change or a terrible one. It was the determining of whether it was a good change or not was the difficult part.

However, all this internal thinking and talking with herself was hard to wrap her head around, almost like this thumping feeling of giving her a headache was the best way to sum it up. It was probably best to switch to a different topic.

She soon cleared her throat. "Onto another thing..."

"Hmm? Yeah?"

"Have you talked to your mom yet?"

"Oh, no. Not yet. By the time I got home, she wasn't there yet. Probably at the office." Y/N takes another sip of his tea.

Yumiko nodded her head. "I see. If I remember correctly, she does have the tendency to overstay herself there."

"Well, that is the life of a mangaka," Y/N stated. "Doing back breaking work of drawing panels and creating storyboards in order to meet the deadline."

Y/N's mother is in-short a mangaka artist. Although her real profession is that of a doujin artist and creating the rather more adult works, she has dabbled in creating "regular" manga for the average consumer. It's a bit of an odd profession in Y/N's eyes, but he can see how much his mother enjoys it, so he doesn't seem to mind it.