Chapter 90. But I Do

Start from the beginning

Lucilline took a cautious step backwards.

Upon noticing that, the white-haired demoness grabbed his throat. Her nails pinched inwards, beginning to twist the skin of his neck. "Don't try to escape." From the black-haired nobleman's trembling irises, he could see the skies shaking, as if threatening to collapse unto his body. An overwhelming force invaded his every bone and marrow, and his hands fell by his side lifelessly.

The demoness suddenly dropped him by his throat.

Lucilline collapsed onto the ground.

The demoness snapped, "Get up."

Lucilline did not move.

It wasn't until a few seconds later did the demoness realize that Lucilline fainted.

The demoness: ...was I really that scary?

*****

When Lucilline had awaken, he found himself and the demoness alone in an attic of a commoner's house. The streets outside were loud and rowdy—news of his escape and the destruction of the Underground Prison had reached the commonwealth's ears. Panic had spread like a famine, plaguing every citizen's ears and blinding their sight with grief.

By the black-haired nobleman's side was the demoness.

Her wrathful strands of white hair was more valuable than any silver platter, and her demonic red eyes burned brighter than any forest fire.

"I am Farrah Umbra. Remember this, as it is the name you will see shedding blood all across Lydia." The demoness spoke firmly, not allowing the black-haired nobleman to take a single look away from her.

Lucilline held his breath.

The name Farrah Umbra was infamous—too infamous to ignore without guilt. It belonged to the Fourth Demon Princess of the Ubel Kingdom. She was known to have claimed many people's lives during the war between Lydia and Ubel. Only after the war was Farrah slain, thus her demon-folk fled from the battlefield and abandoned their kingdom.

This caused Lucilline Rubius to fall into confusion. The history records claimed that Farrah Umbra had died, so why in the world is she standing before him alive?

"Nineteen, November, and Miss A. are all my subordinates." Farrah stated proudly. "Now that you have devoured them, I suppose you will have to replace their duties in their stead."

Lucilline was appalled.

He quickly refused. "That is impossible. I refuse to side with the likes of a demon."

A pair of crimson red eyes quickly stabbed straight into his retinas. Farrah wore a hideous smirk, as if amused by something rather ironic. "You say that, but don't you forget, you are a demon on the inside as well. No matter how you try to hide it, you and your ancestors are all—"

"I know." Lucilline cut her off.

Contrary to the Princess Demon's impression, the black-haired nobleman appeared... rather self-loathing. "I have killed hundreds of people already. It is only fair for me to be written as a demon." His golden eyes flickered a bit. "However, I refuse to work with a murderer—especially one that is working for the loss of more lives."

An empty silence scraped at the air.

"You mean to say..." Farrah couldn't stop the grin growing on her face. "Even if you're a murderer, you're a murderer with morals." The black-haired nobleman had no idea that the Demon Princess already had her hands controlling the puppet strings connected to his limbs, his pitiful little figure dancing amidst the Royal Demon's palms.