37 - Just Something to Think About

Start from the beginning

"Any impending plans for the time ahead?" She says casually. A broad question, sure. But I understood what she was actually asking. Knowing Lillie, she was after one thing: for me to admit something really embarrassing about Gladion's and my relationship.

"Well," I started, a dreamy look on my face. "I'd love to try to become the Champion of Alola one day."

Lillie pouted, not satisfied. "That's it?"

"I guess so. What else is there to say? Grow old and gray one day?" I chuckle.

"Hm. Well, I am hoping to take over the Aether Foundation for Gladion. While I'm not the oldest child, I think he'd be fine without the responsibility." Lillie glances out the window.

"You want to work at that kind of place, Lillie?" I asked since it seemed a bit out of character for her.

She exhales. "Not necessarily... but if it means my dear brother is free to live his life, maybe marry the one he loves... I'd be honored." Lillie's serene demeanor dissolves as a smirk crosses her face and she looks me directly in the eye, tone serious but tinted with teasing. "You could consider being his wife, couldn't you?"

"Eh?" My eyes stretch wide in alarm and lean back from Lillie, taken aback.

"Just something to think about."

My face burned with a vibrant crimson blush, and my head felt like it would explode from emotions. Thoughts ran marathons around my mind so fast I felt dizzy when we stepped off the ferris wheel.

Hau and Gladion were waiting for us at the exit, and my gaze locked onto Gladion's. With a stifled squeal, I hide behind Lillie, who only giggles mischievously in response. Gladion looks utterly confused as he stares at me and the heat rises high in my face. I bury my head in my hands, panicking over what Lillie said.

...Would I marry Gladion someday?

Though I'm too embarrassed to admit it, the idea never once crossed my mind.

"Let's continue, shall we?" Lillie says, sidestepping to reveal me, face reddening with every new thought.

When I finally mustered the courage to sneak a glimpse of Gladion, he was eyeing me suspiciously, worry flickering in his emerald eyes. After going on a few more rides, Gladion finally pulls me aside while the other couple do bumper cars. "What's wrong? You're acting strange. Did Lillie tell you something?"

"She... she did," I nod vigorously to confirm it, averting my eyes to stare at the ground.

"And?" His frown deepens.

"Lillie only asked me about the future... and about marriage or whatever." I still haven't met his eyes. I hear him sigh and turn away. Inhaling, I continue, "She wondered whether I'd decide to marry you one day..."

I nervously trail off, unsettled by Gladion's lack of a reply. And still, silence is seemingly permanent as the seconds slowly tick by. The wordless atmosphere is only interrupted when Hau and Lillie finish their ride and approach us. "You look a little red over there, are you okay?" Lillie says innocently as Hau and she joins us on the sidewalk.

"Eh heh heh... yeah, we're fine." I chuckle awkwardly.

"Is that so?" Lillie peers intently at the both of us, putting a finger to her chin. "Then, it follows to ask: Would you marry Gladion?"

"How does it 'follow to ask' such a thing?!" I screech, backpedaling.

I wearily glance over at Gladion's whose alarmed face is a mirror of mine. Our eyes meet and time seems to crawl to a slow pace as I stand, not moving a muscle, frantically trying to choke out a reasonable response, but instead, the only thing that comes to mind is... Yes, I would love to spend my life with Gladion.

And yet, how could I bear to say that? What was wrong with me?

"So?" Lillie pesters me further, leaning forward for effect.

"I- I, um..." I look down at the paved ground, lips trembling. "I mean- oh Arceus, I don't know."

"...You don't know?"

Gladion's quiet question causes my head to snap up and face him straight on. Biting my lip nervously, I avoid his gaze again, trying to divert my attention from anywhere but his somewhat hurt expression and shimmering emerald eyes.

Exhaling, I say, "How did you want me to respond, then?"

"I thought you would say yes, but..." Now it was Gladion's turn to fall silent.

His younger sister, Lillie, stares intently — while Hau is dumbfounded at the whole absurd exchange. Finally done with the stiff atmosphere, Lillie crosses her arms and exclaims, "Just admit it already! You love each other!!"

I flinch, then robotically become rigid and force the sentences out of my mouth, confident that there was no harm in saying it in public. "Yes, it's true. It'd be nice to marry... one day. It's a bit too soon to think about that, I think."

Gladion's look softened as he took both of my hands in his with a broad smile, "I feel the same, (Y/N)."

A pure, sincere grin spreads wide across my face and I look up at Gladion. "Then, let's stay together, Gladion, 'till it eventually comes to that. Let's hope for our future, shall we?"

"Yes, let's."

Leaning close, Gladion pressed his lips onto the top of my forehead, and the only emotion I could process was the strong, overpowering feeling of raw happiness, which I knew I could share with Gladion for as long as I lived. I was basking in joy, breathing it in, content in the warm moment that would be precious in my heart forevermore.

———

Word count: 1550 words