"Perhaps that's because he's my boss," the son of Ares quipped.

               "He's trying to sell Nico off and get money for it," Annabeth continued. "And if Percy doesn't get those stables clean, he'll sell us, too. How can you stand by and let that happen? Shouldn't you help fellow half-bloods?"

               His eyes were cold as they narrowed on the daughter of Athena. "Every half-blood for themselves, is what I think."

               Violet frowned. "How'd you even end up with Geryon, anyways?"

               "I accepted immortality when offered it by the gods," explained Eurytion. "If you live long enough, here's a word of advice; don't accept the gods' offer of immortality. I've been stuck here ever since. It's not like I want to fight for Geryon, but I have no other choice."

               "Sure you do," Violet insisted. "Set us free. We'll find a way out. Tell Geryon we escaped. I dunno. Say you fought really hard and we ended up beating you. Whatever it takes."

               Tyson nodded. "You can untie us, we find Percy, and we escape this evil ranch."

               "Geryon's got three torsos and six legs, and you think you'd be able to escape without him noticing?" Eurytion scoffed. "I forget how confident half-bloods can be ..."

               "How does fighting for Geryon benefit you?" Annabeth pressed. "You do all his dirty work. Don't you want to rest? Have a day off? Not be told what to do? Who to fight?"

               Eurytion narrowed his eyes on them, as if analyzing their minds. "Daughter of Athena, right?"

               Annabeth nodded.

               "Word of advice; you can't talk your way out of every scenario."

               "It's been working pretty well for the past few years," the blonde countered. "I've talked my way out of plenty of dangerous spots before."

               Eurytion snorted. He nodded to Violet. "Eros's kid?"

               She narrowed her eyes on the son of Ares. "Yeah, so what?"

               "Makes you my niece, if you want to follow godly families," Eurytion pointed out. "I don't suggest you doit'll confuse you more than anything."

               "What are you getting at?" she demanded.

               Eurytion considered for a moment. "I figure immorality feels very similar to what it must feel like to be a child of a minor godendless hope for recognition. I might be wrong, but I don't believe that I am."

               Violet scowled at the son of Ares. "You're saying a lot of words to not just say you're not gonna untie us."

               He shrugged. "Talking wastes time."

               "That it does." Geryon strode into the house with an evil sort of grin on his face. "Euyrtion, gag them."

🌷

By the time Percy made it back, Geryon was casually flipping burgers on a huge barbecue cooker made from an oil drum. Eurytion lounged at a picnic table this time, picking his fingernails with a knife. The two-headed dog sniffed the ribs and burgers that were frying on the grill. And the five were still tossed away in the corner, wrists and ankles tied together, and mouths gagged to prevent them from talking.