Chapter 15

Ariana

            I could hear commotion all around me, but I could not see a thing. I could make out voices, but not whom they belonged to. It was as if I was stuck. I felt something on my forehead. This sensation caused me to try my hardest to move my hand. When I felt someone take it and squeeze it, this led me to finally have the will power to force my eyes right open. I was met with beautiful grey ones. I got lost in them for a moment before the young man started screaming as he ran to the door.

            "Nurse!" he called, barely able to contain excitement. "She's awake!"

            I frowned. How long had I been asleep? Was what I was wondering. Before I could say try and say anything, other people piled into the room. My mother and everyone else as well. There was so much happening all at once. I realized I couldn't open my mouth to speak. I looked down and saw there was a tube in my mouth. I was very grateful when the nurse removed it. She also fed me ice chips for my sore throat. My mother stepped forward first, and I was glad to see her but so confused. My whole body felt like I'd been run over by a truck. My head was throbbing, and I felt so weak.

            "Mom," I croaked out, tears filling my eyes. "What happened?"

            My mother looked around at everyone in the room before turning her eyes back to me.

            "Honey, there was an accident," she began gently, ever so lovingly. "You hit your head as well."

            I frowned once again. Nothing my mother said rang a bell. Everything was all so fuzzy. It was like my mind was in a haze.

            "I don't remember," I mumbled, gently shaking my head as far as I could even move it.

            "Some memory loss is normal after hitting your head," the nurse chimed in soothingly. "You have a pretty big gash."

             I looked around the room in confusion and fear. I couldn't remember any of the people.

             "Mom," I whispered. "Who are all these people?"

             Everyone gasped in horror.

            "I'll go get her doctor," the nurse said, much more concerned this time.

            "Ari," a boy with big blue devastated eyes stepped forward. "You don't remember me?"

            All I could do was stare at him blankly. Absolutely nothing was coming to mind with this particular individual.

            "Chase," my mother called him. "Have faith. She may just be hazy from waking up."

             "Ariana..."

            The boy with grey eyes whispered out heartbrokenly. Oddly enough, when I looked at him, a strong stab of pain shot through my own heart. I suddenly felt nauseous. I ended up vomiting all over the sheets covering my body. My mother reacted, shooing everyone out of the room and calling for a nurse. I was thankful because I was embarrassed. There was no food in my stomach, so it was mostly liquid that came out. A nurse came in and helped clean me up. I wasn't paying attention because there was a bunch of different thoughts going through my mind. I remembered my mother. And how my father was gone. I remembered college and my studies, but everything else was a blur.

            "Mom..."I whispered out brokenly. The nurse had finished and left us alone. "What all happened?"

            My mother sighed and sat down next to my bed. She looked into my eyes for a long while. She explained to me that I had been out in a blizzard and had sustained a head injury. She also explained that the grey-eyed boy named Jasen had been the one to find me. I had mixed feelings when I heard his name once again. There was anger and remorse as well as something else. . .

            "W-what was I doing out there?" I asked in complete confusion.

          "Something about going out there to clear your head." My mother shook her head, looking deep in thought. "Now that I think about it, with everything that had been going on, I don't think I got all the details."

             I just gazed up at the ceiling trying to take it all in as best as I could. I felt tears fill in my eyes and spill down my face. My mother noticed and grabbed a tissue from the bedside table to dry them for me.

            "Where are we?" I inquired, curiously.

            "Well we are in England. You joined your friends on Jasen's world tour for summer break."

             England. That didn't at all sound like me. I had been so busy with school. Practically nothing could pull me away. Before I could say anything else, who seemed to be a doctor, walked into the room. She had on the standard doctor get-up I'd seen from watching medical shows.

            "Ariana," she greeted me warmly. "Hello. My name is Amber, and I am your doctor."

            I forced a small smile back at her. She greeted my mother as well.

             "It's good to see you awake!" she continued walking forward. "I heard you are having some memory issues?"

            All I could do was nod.

            "You did get a pretty bad gash to the head." She frowned. "But to cause selective amnesia? You shouldn't be able to remember your mother and other bits. However, I have seen this before in patients who have had traumatic events happen to them as a way to block it out. . ."

            "I'm not sure. . ." I shook my head.

           "That's understandable." Amber smiled gently. "I will probably have a neurologist take a look at you just to be on the safe side as well."

            "When can I go home?" I asked, tiredly. I did not like being in a hospital and wanted to get home as soon as possible.

            "It will probably still be another week at least," she advised seriously. "We want to watch you. You've been through a great deal and need to build back up strength."

             I knew there was no protesting. I just shut my lips and didn't reply. Amber told me to get as much as rest as possible then made her way out of the room. I felt so many things all at once. All I wanted to was scream and cry, but at the same time I didn't have the energy. I was beyond frustrated. Even though I couldn't remember, I could tell there were parts of me missing...

           I realized I was sobbing. My mother leaned her head against my side as a gesture of comfort and just let me have a much needed break down...