An... Unexpected Development

[Orion/Alastor POV]

It's been about a year since my 5th birthday, and Zenith caught Rudy practicing magic when he blew a hole in the wall, and decided to hire a magic tutor for him. My sword practice with Paul has been going very well, I'm relying less and less on my mana enhancement by the day, and if i utilized my mana enhancement more I'd be able to keep up with him. Also on the topic of my mana enhancement I'm able to use it to become literally unharmable for about 2 minutes before my mana depletes, so I'll need to continue expanding my reserves if I want to be able to use it in an extended fight. however using it has developed a... side effect is probably the best way to describe it, when I use my strengthening and reinforcement at the same time [author note mid paragraph - I've decided to combine reinforcement and strengthening for the rest of the story, and it will be called mana enhancement] black smoke will emit from my eyes, its intensity varying with how much I'm using it. Oh someone's outside, I wonder who it is?

As I head down the stairs I hear some talking, sounds like a girl.

??? - "I'm Roxy Migurdia, pleased to meet you"

There's a small patch of silence as I step out the door, the girl, who I now know is Roxy, is looking off to the side awkwardly.

Paul - "Oh, you're the, um... Home tutor?"

Zenith - "You're awfully, well..."

Rudeus - "She's tiny!"

Roxy - "You're a fine one to talk."

Orion - "Rudeus that isn't how you treat a girl!"

everyone looks at me surprised, not knowing I was there.

Roxy - "So is he the student I'll be teaching?"

she looks at me

Orion - "No, you'll be teaching Rudeus, this little fella."

I walk over to Paul and rub Rudeus' head

Zenith - "Yes, you'll be teaching him!"

Roxy - "You do see them sometimes. Idiot parents who think their kid has talent just because he's an early bloomer. Looks like this one's a dud."

Zenith - "Excuse me?"

Roxy - "Nothing! Only, I doubt that a child could comprehend the theory of magic."

Zenith - "Don't worry! Our little Rudy is amazing!"

Roxy - "I understand. I'll do what I can."

Rudeus - "Huh? We're doing it outside?"

Orion/Roxy simultaneously - "Naturally."

Rudeus hugs Paul, almost as if he's scared of the outside... now that I think of it I've never seen him go outside.

As I start training with Paul for the day, I listen in to Roxy's lecture.

Roxy - "In broad terms, there are only three types of magic. Attack magic, healing magic, and summoning magic. Each is divided into seven ranks: beginner, intermediate, advanced, sacred, royal, imperial, and divine. And to use magic, you need magical power. Either the magical power within you, or... Is something wrong?"

Rudy - "Oh, no."

Roxy - "All right, then. Anyway, I'll start by demonstrating an incantation, so repeat after me."

Rudy - "Do you need the incantation?"

Roxy - "Of course you do."

she sighs at that.

Roxy - "Let the great protection of water be on the place thou seekest. I call a refreshing, burbling stream here and now. Water Ball!"

Rudy - "Miss, my mom worked hard to raise that tree, so I think she's gonna get mad."