Chapter 13

Astrid's POV

As we all gathered round the body, there was much confusion and weirdness in the cause of her death.
How did Jessica die?

Then I saw Hiccup in the corner of the room, showing more interest in the thing he was holding than my dead friend. I casually walked over. He was alone as people were still scared of him and therefore gave him lots of space.

I don't even know why he comes here now. Something about a 'chat' with the general.
Anyway, I then asked him,
"You know what happened, don't you?"
He gazed at me for a second, and I realised he was in pain. His eyes were bloodshot; eyelids were heavy; his gloves - those that he always wore - were stained with fresh blood. Then he replied, and I could tell it was hard for him to speak,
"Aye. But it matters not. What does matter is------"

He never finished his sentence. Hundreds of lightning bolts struck him, tearing open the roof and knocking him heavily unconscious.

"WHAT THE FLIP?" Jemma shouted.
(Yes she is still in the story, but she... errr.... went on holiday!)
"Erm, ok everyone, stand back please," ordered one of the staff who were previously staring at the corpse of Jessica, knowing not what to do.

Eventually everyone obeyed, and Mala was called.
As we waited for her to arrive, everyone knew someone should see if he needed serious medical attention, but no one was brave enough to do it.

Sighing, I cautiously stepped over by Hiccup's side, and completed the medical check we were taught last year:
1. Check they're breathing.
2. Ensure their heart is beating.
3. Check exposed skin for major wounds.
4. Call for help.
(5) Should the victim not be breathing, complete CPR.
(6) Should the victim's heart not be beating, use a defibrillator get help from officials who have access to one.

Now of course, the problem with Hiccup was that he wasn't breathing. His heart was beating, but there was a defibrillator nearby. He wasn't breathing, and performing CPR is seen as weird to some people.
I don't know why.

I prepared to begin, and his heart stopped. He grunted painfully.

Now it was serious. He would die. People with high tiers can survive perhaps fifteen minutes without oxygen, but with no blood pumping throughout his body, there was no way.

"GET THE DEFIBRILLATOR! QUICK!"
I yelled to the nearest person, who immediately ran off to obey my command. There was panicking through the crowd of people, which seemed thinner; some people had gone: not many care about Hiccup.

There was only about five people there: Heather, Mr. Ingerman, a tutor and myself. That made four. Then Mala was there. I looked at her, and she nodded, insisting on me to continue the routine.

I sucked in a breath, then gave Hiccup CPR, I think people see Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) as kissing. So immature.
Anyway, I continued with this, and was getting into a rhythm when the person I'd ordered to get the defibrillator - whose name was Alice - arrived.

We'd been taught how to use one of these on the same day when we were taught CPR. That whole thing was like a medical course we'd had to take.
Setting it up correctly, I proceeded with it. By now Hiccup was completely silent, and I was very worried. Not breathing, no heart beating, and blood began to come from his mouth, nose and eyes.

He was crying blood.

"Clear!" I called and pressed the two pieces of equipment onto his chest.
A high voltage of energy flowed into him and he awoke suddenly, reeling back in astonishment.
I placed my hand on his shoulder comfortingly, and he began to breathe ruggedly.

"It's ok. Just breathe," I was out of breath myself from the work. There was clapping behind me and I realised Mala, Heather and Mr. Ingerman were applauding proudly.
"Well done Astrid!"

Suddenly, Hiccup swiftly reached into his pocket and cast out the familiar purple stone that had killed Jessica.
"They... are... hard... to handle. It went... out of control," he muttered, panting heavily.
Mala gazed at me, confused at what he meant. I explained,
"That's the Sorrowstone. It was the thing that killed Jessica."

She nodded.
"So it struck you with lightning?" Heather questioned disbelievingly.
"No," he answered emotionlessly, "The Sorrowstone creates bad events, such as death, and makes sadness from it. For example, I would've died, and the stone decided that if I died, everyone would be sad. Sorrowful. Of course there is no reason for anyone to be sad at my death."
Seargent Mala frowned at this.

To finish, Hiccup gazed into my eyes, and I gazed into his. He muttered one word before dissolving into dust.

Thankyou.