Chapter 4: You Belong With Me ★

Start from the beginning

"That's not a good reason!" I whined. 

"Okay, okay, I'll drop it," he said. "Copier." he coughed quietly.

"Hey!" I lightly hit him. "I heard that!"

"Haha. I think you're just hearing things."

"Whatever," I said, licking my ice cream again.

"So," he started, taking a bite out of his ice cream. "How's the single life treating you?"

"Honestly, pretty good. It's nice to only have to focus on yourself."

"Yeah, I get that. But hey, I'm glad to see you're doing better!"

"Definitely," I smiled. 

A beautiful girl walked up to us, tapping John on the shoulder. I recognized her. She was our school's cheer captain. I stared at her outfit, a pink tank top along with a white short skirt. She was even wearing high heels.

Who wears heels to get ice cream?

"Hey babe. Can you give me 10 bucks? I want to buy myself some ice cream, and I totally forgot my wallet," the girl asked. 

My smile dropped. Babe? John has a girlfriend? He's never mentioned having a girlfriend before.

John had a sad smile. "Sure. Give me a second," he said, as he reached into his wallet. 

"Oh hey," the girl turned to me. "I don't think we've ever met. I'm Cleo, John's girlfriend. 

John's girlfriend.

John's girlfriend.

Girlfriend.

The words echoed in my head as my heart shattered into a million pieces.

If he has a girlfriend, why has he never mentioned her before?

"Thanks," Cleo said, as John handed her some money. She walked away to the cashier and ordered. 

John looked back at me. "Sorry about that," he said, looking down sadly.

"Hey, are you okay?" I asked.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. I just-" he paused.

"What?" I noticed him looking at Cleo, then looking back down and shaking his head.

"Nothing. It's nothing."

"Well if you ever need to talk," I paused, looking directly at him. "About anything," I said, gesturing towards Cleo, "I'm here."

"Thanks, Ronnie. I appreciate that."

Joel walked over to us, along with some other friends, and a new conversation began. 

"Hey, John!" an unfamiliar classmate called out. "What did you get on the chemistry test?"

John answered their question, and the conversation between the group continued to flow, marking the end of our alone time. 

During the conversations, John and I had moments where we would look at each other as if we were the only two people in the world.

And his smile. He would smile the second he knew I was looking at him. And not the fake smile that you do when someone looks at you awkwardly.

I could tell. It was a genuine smile.

As Joel and I walked home from spending time, I thought about John while Joel shared some funny stories from the conversations he just had with our friends.

But I didn't hear a thing. All I could think about was John.

And it made me wonder the thing, I know I shouldn't wonder about.