Chapter 12: Andromeda

✧.* -2023: Rome- ✧.*

Dante barely keeps his grip on his motorcycle as he sees y/n but he manages. His breath leaves him in an instant leaving behind the aching cavern of his chest and a terrified thrum in his blood. He has built his current life and his hatred for Dominic Toretto based on her death, so if she is alive what is he but a lie?

He isn't completely sure he saw her, or he wouldn't be if he hadn't heard her name from someone else's mouth. The memory of the months after his accident where he was plagued with hallucinations comes to mind. He shivers as he remembers those figures of death that he had lived with for months, shadows in every corner, reaching out to him to drag him back under the waves he should never have broken through.

He doesn't stop, too deep into his plan to recalibrate and too set in his ways to give up revenge even if it means turning away from her and continuing his chase. He has been haunted by her ghost for more than a decade and now that she is made real again, he can't help but fear all of the unknowns she symbolizes. He grits his teeth and comms his nerds who should be waiting obediently at the tower. He can hear them yelp as the comm crackles.

"Nerds! Listen, I have a new objective for you dweebs. There's a girl, a woman in this city I want you to get now, and when I say now I mean right. fucking. now. Her name is Y/n L/n and I just saw her in the square. She's in all purple and possibly using a Vespa to get around. Find her and get her. If you succeed you and all of your nerd family members will be free, fuck this up and everyone fucking dies to the second cousin. Hurry."

Dante ends the comm and revs his motorcycle, his mind fracturing and spiraling, his chest tightening in panic and his teeth gritting painfully. He tries not to think of what it means for her to be alive, the years of distance and mourning having made his father more good than he ever was bad, but this, this could knock the ghost of Hernan from the pedestal Dante has created for him, and that means Dante will have nothing left to worship. Dante bites down the stinging in his eyes. Someone lied to him and may the devil have mercy on them because he sure as fuck won't.

:・゚✧:・゚✧:・゚✧:・゚✧:・゚✧:・゚✧:・゚✧:・゚✧:・゚✧

After y/n saw Dante ride away from her on his motorcycle followed by two of the members of her supposed found family, you didn't have time to cry or feel any sort of way about the missed reunion. You were too busy holding the hand of a sobbing child who had been just a little too close to the second explosion and was singed badly. He was alone, riding his bike probably to a nearby park and so for the moment, you are acting as a stand-in parent. He cries into your shoulder as you rush him over to an ambulance that has just parked and hand him over, struck silent in the growing crowd of yelling and arguing Italians who flit about among the wreckage.

You can feel your pocket buzzing from your phone being called non-stop, undoubtedly by Jakob who had caught almost all of the action from your Facetime call. You walk away from the ambulance shell-shocked. You let yourself be pushed around by the flow of the crowds for a moment, you feel lightheaded, unreal. You are shocked out of it as a huge explosion rattles the city, you duck instinctively as does the rest of the crowd, your nerves shot and breath coming in and out in short painful spurts. You are terrified, everything is moving around you, too loud, too bright, too hot.

You hear someone scream about the river and it snaps you out of your daze and panic. The world filters back in and you regain all of your control back, this isn't the time to let yourself be swept away by confusion, its time to act, to get yourself out of harm's way and figure out what the actual fuck was going on and what your family has to do with it. You have already decided to rip Dom a new one whenever you see him next, and from the swarms of police, you don't think that is going to be anytime soon.