011. breaking through

Julie had run out of her date with Nick on Friday, and a few days had passed since. It was Sunday night, and she was pondering what she was going to even say to him. She couldn't lie to him-- well, she shouldn't.

She was pacing back and forth in the studio when Luke walked in. "Uh, hey, Jules. You okay?"

Julie turned around with a bright smile and wide eyes. "Yeah! Totally!"

He gave her a knowing look, and she rolled her eyes. "I'm fine, seriously. I just have to see Nick again-- and I don't want to have to say to his face how weird he was acting."

"Then don't," Luke said with a shrug. "If he was acting weird the other night, then don't be honest with him. He's a freak anyways."

Julie frowned. "But if Caleb actually did do something to him, then he'll probably get really mad, and if he threatens me--"

Luke walked over to her, placed his hands on her shoulders, and looked her right in the eyes. "I promise, I won't let him do anything to you, Jules."

Julie looked away. "I appreciate the effort, but you know you can't promise that. Caleb is pretty insane and he'd be willing to do anything to get you guys back in his band."

"Julie, I'm serious," Luke said with a gleam in his eyes. "There's no way I'll let him do anything to you. In fact," he said with a devious smirk, "I can be your personal bodyguard. We might need them if the band blows up soon anyways."

Julie smiled and rolled her eyes. "Luke, I'm serious. You know how subtle and devious Caleb can be."

Luke crossed his arms and stood directly in front of her. "Well, he's not as smart as us!" He exclaimed. He pointed at her and said, "Otherwise, how would we have made it back to the Orpheum in time? See?! We're smarter, Jules!"

"Yeah, I know, but Caleb is still--" She was interrupted by Luke jumping onto the coffee table and saying, "Come on, Jules! Just give us a chance!"

Seconds later, Alex poofed into the studio and was taken aback immediately. "Uh-- Uh-- I don't know what's happening in here, but-- but I'm gonna go."

"See?!" Julie said, waving her hands in the air erratically. "You already scared Alex away!"

Luke rolled his eyes. "That is so not fair. You know Alex is the emotional one."

Julie side-eyed him. "You seem pretty emotional to me right now."

"Fine," Luke said with crossed arms, "if you wanna be difficult, I won't be your personal bodyguard. But if he keeps bothering you, don't be surprised if he finds a snake in his shower."

Julie shook her head as she began walking towards the doors. "If he finds a snake in his shower, I don't think I'm gonna hear about it."

***

As soon as Julie walked into school Monday morning, Nick spotted her. He smiled and slowly took his time walking up to her. "Hey, uh, Julie, I was wondering if we could talk about what happened Friday night."

"Oh, sure," said Julie, "but maybe later. I kinda need to get to my locker or I'll be late to class."

As soon as Julie made it to her locker, Flynn walked over to her. "Oh my gosh, Jules, all of the girls are already spreading rumors about you and Nick. I don't know what you're planning to say to him later, but you have to be careful. Those girls are as vicious as piranhas and they're just waiting for their time to strike."

Julie raised an eyebrow, feeling immense pressure and anxiety. "They're already making up rumors about us?! I thought things would be normal! Please tell me at least Carrie doesn't--"