.

The large, running motors came to a stop as we got off the elevator.

Awaiting us was a dimly lit corridor. Yellow and black striped lines were drawn on the walls to prevent any type of collisions. We walked straight ahead, following those lines that seemed to invite us into the depths of the darkness.

A faint light underneath our feet lit up the bottom of our faces. I sent out a ping signal to make sure we were heading in the right direction and several seconds later, received a ping back from the facility's system. It seemed we were going the right way.

We turned right, passed through a double fireproof wall, and ended up in a spacious underground room. Towards the back of the room that was as large as a tennis court was a barrier with a security station set up in front of it. Both inside and outside the station were two people, and looking at us was one soldier carrying a gun on his back.

There wasn't anything held in their gazes. Their expressions, their individual personalities, it was like they hadn't given any thought to those sorts of things. The only thing reflected in their eyes was the fact that there were now three suspicious people here.

"Halt." The guard closest to us declared with a robotic voice.

"We have an appointment. Let us pass." Chuuya-sama spoke coolly as if the muzzle of a gun wasn't pointed at him.

The guard looked behind him and another guard in the office gave him a small nod. "You may pass. But this is an important, classified facility. Before you enter, we'll need to check your personal belongings and get a blood test from each of you."

"A blood test?" Chuuya-sama raised his eyebrows. "What for?"

"You guys don't even know what facility you're in?" The guard let out a sigh of contempt. "You poor things."

"What did you say?! Just who do you think I am..."

"You're probably someone everyone knows. That's why it's best if you keep quiet." 

I covered Shirase-san's mouth before he could say a stinging retort. We would have our belongings checked and get the blood test.

The guard pressed a box-shaped blood sampling kit against Chuuya-sama's wrist. Once he got the sample of blood, the box released the negative air pressure with a fwoosh sound. Chuuya-sama's expression hardly changed.

The guard also performed a blood test on Shirase-san's wrist. "Ouch! Ow, that hurts! Quit messing with me! If this was gonna hurt, then you should've said so!" He was struggling dramatically in pain. 

Next was my turn for the blood test.

There was the sound of air pressure as the needle broke.

"......."

The guard's eyes met mine.

Both the guard holding the blood sampling kit and I didn't say a word.

The guard used his spare kits to prick my leg, neck, and hip, every place imaginable that wasn't covered by my clothes. All of them broke.

It started to get a bit louder around the station. "Bring me a knife!" "Do we have a saw?!" The number of people gradually increased. The guards came together to try and get a sample of my blood. Everything was useless.

When they finally ran out of options, the guards looked at me, panting with exhaustion. I stood upright, my face expressionless as I waited for them to take my blood.

They stood in a puzzled silence.

I stretched out my neck until my joints were visible. Then, I turned my face towards them and moved my head back and forth while walking. "I'm a pigeon."