Chapter 3: Mr. Perfectly Fine ★

Start from the beginning

"John!" my brother replied. "What's up?" John was a close friend of my family. We've all been friends ever since we started school. 

I heard Joel start talking with John, but I was too focused on Asher to pay attention. 

Their conversation became muffled as I remained in shock over what I witnessed. 

He broke up with me three days ago. Was that how much I was worth to him? 

"Ronnie?" I heard Joel's muffled voice as I was pulled back into reality. 

"Hey," Joel started, as he put his arm on mine. "Ignore him."

"What happened?" asked John. Joel looked at me, not wanting to tell him anything I wanted to keep private. 

I sighed, knowing I was the one who had to explain. "Asher broke up with me on Friday, and now he's with someone new already three days later." 

"Oh. I'm sorry Ronnie. But to be honest," he said, as he stared into my eyes. "He never really deserved to be someone as great as you. You deserve better." 

I smiled sadly, as I felt Joel rub my back in comfort. "It'll be alright, Ronnie. You have to take time to heal. If he's able to move on that quickly, he never truly appreciated you."

"Thanks, guys. Let's just get to class." I quickly blinked the tears away, as I began walking to my first class. Joel and John followed right after. 

We made it to our first class, English. We sat down at our seats as the bell rang. Our teacher gave us an assignment, to write an essay on our reading, 

I stared at my Chrombeook, which displayed a blank document that was supposed to be filled with my writing. I look up, and see all my classmates, including John and my brother, typing away. 

It was hard for me to focus. All I could think about was Asher. 

Two Months Ago 

I look at myself in front of my mirror, as I sighed out of happiness. I was going on a date with Asher tonight. 

I heard a knock on the door. "Come in!" I said. 

"Hey," Luke said, as he entered the room. He look at me, glancing up and down, as he began to smile. "You look beautiful."

"Thank you." I smiled back. 

"You just let me know if this Asher doesn't treat you well alright? Just because you are boyfriend and girlfriend now doesn't mean he's a good person."

I smiled as I heard my brother being overprotective. "I will. I promise. But Asher's a good person."

"Okay. I believe you. But I'm just saying, just in case."

"I know, Luke. And I really love how much you care. I do."

He smiled at my comment. "Have fun on your date, Ronnie," he said, heading for the door.

"I will. Thank you, Luke." He smiled as he left me alone once again in my room. 

I looked back at my mirror as I thought about the words Luke said. Boyfriend and girlfriend

I couldn't believe someone wanted me to be their girlfriend. I've never had a boyfriend before, I wasn't sure how a "girlfriend" was supposed to act.

A few girls at school had been giving me a hard time as well. They think I don't deserve to be with someone like Asher. They think he's too good for me. 

And maybe they're right. 

I heard another knock on the door. "Ronnie," I heard Joel say. 

I walked up to the door to open it. "Yeah?"