Prologue

Yanshan County, Yunnan, People's Republic of China

"Lads, prepare to buckle up! We're nearing the designated target!" the voice from their driver exclaimed.

The 14-man infantry aboard the old trusty BTR-60, however, felt nothing but unease. They were about to enter a potentially IED-littered airport, and their nervous faces were barely visible in the low light. The infantry consisted of Vietnamese, Filipino, and Malaysian soldiers who were part of a newly raised division assembled from old stocks from the North American theater and equipment from Beijing-led communist China. They knew they were simply cannon fodder for the ongoing mission, serving as the first wave cleaning force to assault the remaining anti-union forces that had split from the main China after the coup happened four years ago.

"Our driving Vietnamese brothers are rather noisy today," said the Filipino captain leading the unit. They were all conscripts and a ragtag bunch from different training courses and nationalities, now crammed into this multinational division filled with ethnic conflict and bantering. Everyone could only offer wry smiles, knowing they were about to experience the harsh reality of true conflict - a war of the damned. The only thing on their minds was their families, friends, and lovers they might never see again if luck was not on their side and death claimed them on this battlefield.

The light sound of explosions could be heard in the area as their accelerating armored ride neared their designated target.

"Ma, pa..."

"My God... Please protect us."

Gritting their teeth, checking their weapons, and murmuring prayers, the sound of explosions grew louder, and the ride became rougher.

Boom!

An explosion resounded as their vehicle jerked in surprise and came to a sudden stop, forcing some of them to tumble aboard and roll into awkward positions, banging into each other. "What's that!?" the captain demanded immediately.

"Rocket! Fuck! The front was pulverized! Disembark! We're ambushed! Who the fuck didn't mop the fucking surroundings! Take cover in the houses! Scatter!" the driver cursed as they realized they had entered a death trap, thinking that the area had already been cleared.

Boom!

Boom!

Another series of explosions resounded as rockets from Chinese anti-union soldiers rained down from the ruins of houses, hitting the front row of armored vehicles in the convoy, which had been in a single road column formation. This was followed by another volley of rockets from the furthest back, completely cutting off any hope of retreat or escape.

Tatatatata!

Tatata!

Tatatatata!

"Go! Go! Go!" shouted the captain as everyone immediately exited the BTR-60, bullets shrilling above them and ricocheting off the armored hull of their APC as it fired unrelentingly, pulverizing and kicking up dust around the abandoned Chinese home.

"Advance!" The platoon began to move forward, firing their guns at the houses where the Chinese soldiers were located.

"Everyone! Get down!" he commanded, and his men immediately crouched. Even without orders, they knew to take cover in the heat of battle, with the drowning gunfire becoming their unsettling soundtrack. As they moved forward, the soldiers noticed a rocket heading directly their way. They immediately scattered or jumped flat on the ground, tripping over the dirt on the unmaintained road, but it was too late.

Boom!

Their APC was hit, and the explosion sent them flying upon impact. The chaos and danger of war engulfed them, and they had to quickly regain their composure to continue the fight for their lives.