Side Chapter: Dear Mother

Deep underground in a unnamed facility, we find a lone octoling sitting in a white room. She sits in peace and quiet. In the room there is a bed, drawer, desk and mirror. All of them a uniform white. The octoling sat there, analyzing the room. The colors...

They bored her...

She got up and opened the drawer, taking out her special octobrush and a couple buckets of ink she smuggled into her room. She set the different colored buckets down and dipped the brush in one and began her masterpiece.

After some time...

A figure steps into the octolings room.

???: Meryl. It's time to-

Meryl looked up at the figure mid brush swing. The room had been covered in a splash of colors. The colors were bright and vibrant and it kind of hurt the figures eyes.

???: Meryl! What is this! Where did you get this!?

The figure picked up the buckets of ink.

Meryl: I- I- I'm sorry mother! got it from storage...

Mother: Meryl.. you shouldn't be using this stuff.. it's.. not yours so you shouldn't have it.

Meryl: Yes mother...

Mother: That brush again... put it away... it reminds me of your father too much...

Meryl: I'm sorry mother I ju-

Mother: I know you miss him but put it away..

Meryl did so and put the brush where it was.

Mother: Now.. go to the barracks and get suited up. The troopers have located a disturbance and I think this is a perfect time for your first real mission.

Meryl: Wha!? Really!!

Mother: Suit up my little soldier.

Meryl rushed out of the room and ran to the barracks.

Mother: and good luck.. make me proud..

Some time later

Meryl had been geared up with armor and an octoshot. She had been sent to the surface to deal with a conflict. Apparently, octarians and a duo of inklings had a fight. She needed to take the duo out or into custody for research purposes. She had made it to the surface. A desecrated land filled with sand and dead bushes filled her view. She was a bit far from the location so it may take some time before she gets there, especially on foot. So she began to walk there.

Meryl: I'll make you proud mother... you too father...