Chapter 13

Word Of The Day: Caustic

In general contexts, caustic describes bluntly and harshly critical remarks, statements, or ways of being and communicating, as in "a caustic remark" or "caustic humor." In contexts involving chemistry, caustic is a synonym of , and is used to describe things capable of destroying or eating away matter by chemical action.

Ex. #1:// She was a writer whose caustic wit endears her still to readers everywhere.

Ex. #2:// The chemical was so caustic that it ate through the pipes.

_____

"It's even worse than I thought!"

Donnie called out over the sound of the wind, his visors on to prevent dirt from getting in his eyes. The spawn in the sky hovered high in above the clouds, April and Leo standing next to him. Casey listened to the conversation, clinging to April. Leonardo squinted and stared up at it. "And you're sure that's where they come from?"

April sighs and shakes her head. "Nah, now I'm not so sure! It may be worse than that...I hear screams! People!"
Donnie hummed and looked back at her. "What? You guess it's some sort of prison?" 

Leo shrugged and raised his hand, shielding his eyes to see better. He walked up toward the edge of the rooftop. "It wouldn't surprise me! Those quirky gumballs..."

April looked him up and down and snickered. "Leo, put your hand down! You look like a dad!" 

Casey Jr burst out laughing and pointed at him, Leo rolling his eyes. "Sure, sure, hilarious." Donnie remained quiet, his focus on the kraangified saucer entirely. If he could just get close enough to it, maybe...

April looked over at him and scrunched up her nose. "Uh-uh, Donnie...! I know that look. That's that 'I'm about to go do something I am NOT supposed to do' face."

Donnie smacked his teeth and kept his eyes straight ahead. "If there really are people in there...And they're alive..." He turned to look at both April and his brother. "What are the chances we find out some real important stuff? Save lives?"

"50-50. Although no one who has gone in there come back out, you have the tech, equipment and preparation to make it." A robotic voice spoke up.

Donnie looked back and saw something peeking out of his battle shell. "Gah, S.H.E.L.L.D.O.N.?! You're supposed to be charging right now! Go back to your temporary slumber!"

Leo chuckled and placed a hand on Casey's head. "Yo kid, what's Mikey doin?" Casey looked up and grabbed onto his hand. "In his room again. He just kinda stares at himself sometimes, looking sad. Probably cause he has wrinkles."

Leo's eyes widened and his heart sank. "He...what?" That could only mean one thing. A terrible, terrible thing.

-
The door slams. Mikey flinches and drops from his position in the air. He groans and looks up, Leo standing over him. "Ugh, maaaann! It took me forever to settle my mind!" When he sees the angry look on his face, he stands back up. "Leo...?"

Leonardo walked up to him, face to face, and pointed to his face. "You're getting wrinkles. If Case has seen it, it's there." It was easy to use Casey Jr as an alibi, since he had the sharpest eye out of all of them. Mikey clenched his fists and reached his hands up to cover his cheeks, puffing out a heavy sigh. "Oh...Don't remind me..."

Leo shook his head and pointed a finger at him again. "I...I told you what overusing your ninpo would do! All the time, I tell you!" 
Mikey's face contorted into some sort of frustration, pushing his hand away. "Do not talk to me as if I were Casey! I am just as much of an adult as you are."

"Pffft." Leo chuffed, his arms crossed. "Sure, if not more...Thanks to you..."

Mikey looked hurt and crossed his arms as well. The two remained silent for a long moment. Finally, Mikey drew in a breath and blew it out slowly, starting to speak. "I...I used my ninpo to see into the future...For when Raph was killed..."