Chapter 11

Word of the day: Demise

a person's death.

~
4 YEARS LATER

The group continued moving, hopping from place to place to help more people in need. The children from the shelter back in Queens tagged along, giving Casey Jr a new group of friends to grow up with. Years passed, yet problems got worse. Winter was coming again, and the kids were consistent with their combat training and learning simple tasks, like hunting, reading, writing, and sign language. But there was something in the sky that seemed to be Kraang's main source of power, and they couldn't get to it without making themselves known to the alien race. They had to come up with a plan, but it was clear that not everyone could make it out alive. But they kept this in mind.

While taking shelter in an abandoned enterprise building, April waved Donatello over, spreading out a large map. "Okay, so here's what I got so far-"
"We drop in near the Steam Bass mall and make all the Kraang monsters go kablooey?" Donnie interrupted, leaning over the table. She rolled her eyes and pushed him back. "Nooo, I mean about taking care of that big thing in the sky. It's almost like a spawn for the Kraang." She said, pointing to the corner of the paper. "When we get the full scoop on it, we should destroy it. Or at least try. If we get rid of the spawn-"

"The less of those things we have to worry about." Donnie finished. April whipped around and grabbed him by the collar. "This could work, but you have to promise me that you won't do anything without telling me!" They looked each other in the eyes before Donnie sighed in defeat, nodding. "Yeah yeah, fine."
The woman smiled and punched him in the arm. "That's my turtle!" He waited until she packed up and walked away to let out a silent cry, rubbing his arm. "T-that didn't hurt...Punk..."

______

Casey laid on the floor of the cold basement, breathing heavily. He had bruises on his side and his arms and legs. Leonardo stood with his hands on his hips, hovering over him. "Are you done now?" The ten-year-old scowled and stood up, rolling up his sleeves. "No...Not-Not yet!" They had been sparring for hours, and he was failing to take the turtle down miserably. Leo huffed and spread his arms, taking a few steps back. "Then try again. Pin me to the ground."

Casey shook his hands out before sprinting towards him dragging his hockey stick with him. He raised it above his head and landed a couple hits. The turtle blocked the next few before pushing the child to the ground. He groaned and quickly bounced back on his feet, spinning the hockey stick around his body to block Leo's kicks. But the man was quicker to react, sweeping his legs from under him. Casey fell to the floor and felt pressure apply to body, Leonardo had pressed his forearm against his chest. He kicked and tried to get away, but was pinned. The boy bare his teeth in frustration. "One more time!"

Leo sighed and shook his head, getting up and walking away. "No more, Case." Casey ran in front of him and blocked him from the door. "No, I'm not ready yet! I'm so close, I swear."
"Why do you need to spar with me so badly? You already surpass every other kid here."

The boy shook his head, his hair flopping with the movement. "I-I know, but it's not enough. If I can't beat you, none of it is worth it." Leonardo stopped and tilted his head to the side. This was the reason for the boy's constant stubbornness? The turtle smiled and knelt down to his level. "And why do you want to beat me?"

He smiled at him and clenched his fists. "Because you're the best there is. Aside from Usagi-sama."

Leo's face contorted into emotional anguish as a familiar punch to the gut was thrown into him. He chuckled awkwardly and shrugged. "I mean...If you say so, kid."

'Where's a shotgun when you need one-'

He sighed and nudged the kid forward. "Go on, Case, take a break. You'll beat me one day, I bet. But for now, just go and be a kid with the others."
Casey frowned, but nodded his head in cooperation. Suddenly he stepped forward and threw his arms around Leonardo's neck. Leo froze. They never hugged like this as often as he wished, but when they did, it was a golden moment. The turtle desperately wished that he could've given the child a safe and secured life, even now he did his best. But he couldn't protect him from everything. As hard as he tried, whenever Leo would affirm Casey Jr of how things were going to be okay, they would turn the corner and raise their eyes to a decimated planet.

Leo let out a shaky breath and shook the thought out of his head as he leaned forward, pressed his forehead against Casey's, holding him tightly. To lose this boy would break his heart completely, he had a duty to him. A promise he couldn't allow himself to break even if he wanted to.

He pulled away and held the boy's shoulders, smiling confidently. "You're amazing just the way you are, Casey Jones. Never compare yourself to me." Casey smiled back and shrugged. "I'll try not to." Leonardo smirked and flipped the hair out of the boy's eyes. "And we might need to do something about these locks, my boy."

_______

Leo and Casey walked into the old computer lab and saw the rest of the kids sitting around Usagi, who was probably telling them a story or two. His fur was losing it's browning again, an affect of the changing seasons. Vienna saw Casey first and smiled, making room for him to sit down. "-We could always count on the sun to rise in the morning, to start another day. But that night, New York fell silent, strangely still. The sky turned many different colors, none of them to be comforting or beautiful."

Leo knew this story by heart, so he just stood from afar and let the rabbit continue. "Then we realized why everyone was so quiet. They'd seen the dread, and couldn't even scream. Frozen in their steps, the people were stunned into silence, unprepared for their last days to come so suddenly." Usagi paused and slowly wove him arm through the air, signifying the terrible silence that swept across the town. Vienna, Jonah, Jane, Daniel and Casey all sat there, listening with great interest.

"And behold, from their perch atop New York City, the Kraang ripped open the sky itself. What came out was terror, and what rained down upon us was worse than death."

Vienna smiled as he finished the story, applauding. The other kids slowly turned to stare at her in confusion.

Usagi looked up at Leonardo and held his hand out. "Happy birthday, Leonardo-san." The turtle relaxed his shoulders and took his hand, smiling down at him. "Thanks, rabbit."
Casey gasped and jumped up, latching onto his leg. "Sensei, today's your birthday?!"
Leo laughed nervously and nodded. "Yeah, it's no big deal." The truth was, he was insecure about his age. Of course, he wasn't that old, but he had to constantly remind himself that he wasn't sixteen anymore.

His back pains helped with that, mostly.

And just then, the dreaded question was thrown into the moment. "How old are you?" Jonah asked.

Yuichi noticed how uncomfortable Leo got and was confused. He tapped the silent turtle on the shoulder. "Leo? Is everything okay?"
Leo smiled awkwardly and gritted his teeth, pulling his husband up from the ground. "May I speak with you for just a moment?" He walked away with him, prying Casey off of his leg.

"Yuichi, I'm not really...Y'know, young, anymore?" He whispered. Usagi tilted his head to the side. "Well, you're young and handsome to me!"

Leonardo blushed and pinched his nose. "Yeah, no, I don't think so-"

"SENSEI, YOU'RE 34?!?"

The two looked over at Casey, who's mouth was wide open in shock. Mikey stood next to while knelt down, having whispered the number to him. He laughed nervously and avoided eye contact with his brother. "Lucky guess...?"