9 - The Tie

"And now for the second time in history, we have a three way tie!" Darrol Cartrip said into the microphone, causing the audience to go wild. "With Daniel Swervez, Carol Weathers and Jackson Storm!"

"So." Daniel looked over at Jackson and I with a smile. "Three way tie, eh? Next stop is Florida 500."

"500?" I looked shocked. "For a tie breaker? That's insane. But I ain't scared of that. I'm gonna go and train at the Rusteze center by Fireball Beach." I grinned. "Got some pals there that can help me beat you two."

"Simulators can only get you so far, Carol." Jackson warned. "You gotta get to the real track one day. It's what all the best racers do—even me."

I rolled my eyes at him. "Oh shut up." I grumbled. "I can beat you in a race." Me, being a 2014 McLaren P1 car, could go to 217 mph if I wanted to while Jackson could only top 214 mph and Daniel went at a 208 at his top speed.

"You're only three mph faster than me, Carol." Storm shook his head and rolled his eyes. "You've got a long ways to go."

"Is he bothering you again, Carol?" Lightning McQueen rolled up next to us and gave Storm a very annoyed look. "Last I checked, Mr. Storm shouldn't even be around you, according to Mr. the King."

"Oh heeey, Mr. McQueen. So nice to see you again. You know, we should totally race again. You, me, and Cruz." Storm suggested and Lightning laughed humorlessly.

"That's a great idea but I'll pass. Maybe you can race with Carol. Oh wait. You can't because you're banned." Lightning answered.

"Lightning. Don't." I warned him. "I don't need any scratches to my paint job during the next race."

"So—You're going to Florida for your tie breaker, huh?" Lightning looked at me when Storm drove off. "If you like, I can drive you to where Smoky is and ask him if he has any tips for you."

"Smoky. That's Doc's old racing mentor right? He's still alive?" I asked.

"Yeah, can you believe it?" Lightning nodded. "I'm sure he'd be happy to help out with you like he did me."

"If not, we can always make teach you his tricks instead!" Cruz joined us next and she smiled at me.

"Thanks you two. I just hope I can finally beat Storm. Maybe make him pay for that crash he caused back in '16." I nodded.

"Whoo! Let's get going then! To Thomasville!" Cruz cheered and she drove off to go to her trailer and Lightning followed.

I smiled slightly and drove off myself to my own trailer where Cal was waiting inside of it already.

"You ready to go, little sister?" Cal asked. "Florida's waiting for us."

"Actually, Lightning and Cruz are going to teach me some of Doc's old tricks in Thomasville." I answered. "We have a week before the race so I think it's okay."

"Alright. Whatever you say. Hey! Big guy! Set course for Thomasville!" Cal called to Jet who was our trailer's truck.