4 - Never Drive While Drowsy

"A tie." I repeated even after a day after the announcement. The press was still buzzing about it. "A threeway tie."
"Didn't that happen to McQueen, Uncle Weathers and Chick Hicks once?" Cal asked, raising a lid.

"Yeah, it did." I agreed, sighing. "Uncle Weathers is not going to be happy."
"Hey, relax. He won't ground you for getting a tie. It's better than losing against Storm." My brother gently nudged me.
"Thanks, Cal." I felt a little better. "I should get into my trailer..." We pulled up to the Dinoco trailer. Or at least where it should've been.
"Oh, right. Rick went to our sponsor. You gotta make an appearance."
I groaned. "Great. I gotta beat Storm to North Carolina." We were in Nashville, Tennessee. It shouldn't be too long of a drive.

A seven hour drive. Alright, I can do this. I relaxed in my trailer, looking content. But as usual, my mind flashed back to the past.

"Hey, Daniel." I greeted my second best friend with a tire bump. We were at the training center, waiting to get on the simulator that Jackson was hogging as usual.
"Hey, Carol, glad you finally made it. Storm still hasn't gotten off of this thing. It's been hours." Daniel whined, which it really hasn't. It had only been thirty minutes. Jackson didn't pay attention to us.
"Alright, time's up. Time to switch, Mr. Storm." The trainer called out.
Jackson huffed. "No, I still haven't reached my top speed."  His top speed was 200 at the time.
"Mr. Storm, please get off of the simulator. We have more trainees who need to perform." The trainer said sternly.
"Not yet." He returned, his eyes narrowed. "I gotta get faster than McQueen."
"Five more minutes then." He answered with a sigh.
"He's always on that thing." Daniel sighed as well. "We never get a turn."
"Maybe he should've stuck to playing racing video games." I commented, gazing wistfully at the simulator. My speed was 203 mph. I was aiming for 206 mph.
Finally Storm reached 200 mph and he slowed down, smirking at us.
"Beat that." He strutted off.
I growled. "I already have, Storm." He didn't hear me.
"Mr. Swervez, your turn." The trainer reminded Daniel.
"Right, sorry." He drove up to the simulator.

I sighed softly, wishing I could've gone back to the good old days. Then I realized we were slowing down.
"Yo, Rick, what are you doing, man?" I asked, looking at the small camera.
A sleepy Rick looked back at me. "I don't think I can make it, boss, old Rick can't be as fast as he used to be. I was just going to take a little nap...regain some energy."
"Oh no, we're heading straight to Tennessee." I disagreed.
"All night?" Rick sighed.
"Look it will be easy. I'll stay up with you."
A few hours later, I was fast asleep. And Rick was drowsy.

I woke up to truck horns. I saw three coming right at me and I yelped, speeding off of the road to the side. I panted, looking at the interstate. "Rick."
I frantically zoomed towards the road, my eyes alert and my entire body was on alert. Horns blew around me as I tried to find my truck. Eventually I blew a tire, having to stop at a rest stop. I was so tired, I passed out where I parked.

"Hey, kid, wake up." A unfamiliar voice said beside me. "Wake up, kid. Don't you have a race to get to?"
"Wha...?" I blearily opened my eyes.
A familiar car stared back at me. A black and white police car.
"Sheriff." I let out a sigh of relief. "Wait—what are you doing here?"
"You broke down at a rest stop an hour away from Thomasville. Lightning sent me after you after Mack spotted you." Sheriff explained.
"Why is Lightning going to Thomasville?" I raised a lid.
"To watch the race, of course. Come on, I'll give you a police escort." He replied.
"Uh, Sheriff. If you said I broke down, I can't move."
Sheriff seemed to realize that just then. "Oh. Right. I should've brought Mater with me." He sighed.
"What do we do now?" I asked, sighing as well.
"Wait. Until someone finds us." Sheriff answered, shrugging his tires.
"Great. Just great." I muttered. "Now Storm will beat me there."
"Hey, look on the bright side. At least you aren't alone." He replied.
True. Very true. It could've been worse.