The little child at the cemetery

<2043>

~Xia~

I was heading towards home. It was midnight, and I was driving in the rainy weather. Yes, I'm not very smart.

The rain had turned into a downpour, and I could barely see ahead. Nevertheless, driving in the middle of the night with no one else outside made it not so difficult. I still had a long way to go.

...

As I passed by a cemetery, something caught my attention. A little child was standing by a grave, completely soaked in rain. I wondered what they were doing here at this time of night.

I suppose they must have lost a very close family member. I can relate to that kind of pain.

I stopped the car and got out. I called out to the child.

"Hey! Kiddo!"

The child slowly turned his head towards me. His hair was covering his eyes, and his nose had turned bright red from the cold.

"You're going to get sick. Look, if you want, I can take you home."

The child shifted his gaze from me to the car. Then he nodded and got into the back seat of the car. I got in as well and started the car. The child was shivering.

I took off my sweater and handed it to him. I had a thinner one underneath anyway. But the child was only wearing a short-sleeved shirt.

"Here, put this on. We don't want you to catch a cold, right?"

As I drove, I kept glancing at the child through the rearview mirror.

"So, what's your name?"

"Anthony. What's your name?"

I smiled.

"Xia."

"That's a very beautiful name, thank you for picking me up in your car, Miss Xia."

"You're welcome. How old are you?"

"Six. And you?"

Anthony's confidence and sweetness charmed me. Especially how he straightforwardly asked what he wanted.

"I'm 36. Do I look young?"

"Yes, I thought you were 20."

I chuckled.

"Very kind of you to say so."

"Xia, can I ask you something?"

"Of course."

"Why are you helping me?"

I smiled and looked at the child through the mirror once again.

"Because I didn't want you to get soaked out there. Let's just say I enjoy helping people."

"Aren't you afraid?"

"Why would I be?"

Anthony took a deep breath.

"Because the man who saw me before you screamed and ran away."

I had to bite my lip not to burst out laughing.

"They are cowardly people, why would I be afraid of a cute child like you?"

"Cute, huh?"

I laughed.

"Yes, cute!"

Anthony laughed too.

"Do you have any children?"

"Yes, I have a daughter."

"What's her name?"

"Izumi."