Unknown Number

<2025>

~Xia~

It was midnight, and I still couldn't sleep. I must have had too much coffee. I didn't want anyone to notice I was awake, so I couldn't turn on the lights either. I had my headphones on and was stargazing. The stars were so bright and beautiful. With the emotional music, the atmosphere became very romantic, even though I was experiencing a non-existent heartache.

The music momentarily faded, then rose again. This meant I received a notification on my phone. However, I had disabled notification permissions for all apps. I picked up my phone and checked anyway.

There was a message from an unknown number. I hesitated but couldn't resist my curiosity and read the message before blocking it.

"Why are you still awake?"

I furrowed my eyebrows. Who was this? I didn't reply but also didn't block the number. How did they know I was awake? Was someone playing a prank on me?

"Are you scared?"

The second message made me even more irritated. This had to be a joke. My suspicions focused on Sam. He was the only one who loved playing pranks and might know I was awake. I looked out the window to see if I could spot him. No one was there.

"Are you going to answer me?"

Ignoring the last message, I dialed Sam's number and called him. After a few rings, he answered.

"Do you think this is funny, Samantha!?"

He hated it when I addressed him that way, but it was just something I did when I was mad at him.

"What?"

"You are really hilarious, Samantha. Enough, cut it out!"

Sam sounded genuinely surprised. He was serious.

"What are you talking about?"

I hesitated.

"Aren't you the one sending me messages, trying to scare me?"

There was a brief pause.

"Someone is sending you messages at this hour!?"

His voice was chillingly cold and emotionless.

"W-why wouldn't it be you?"

"Where are you?"

"I'm home."

"Alright, I'm coming over. Let me check that number too."

"There's no need, Sam. Just stupid messages. I'll block them, and that's it."

"Okay, but I'll still come, it might take a while. Keep your window closed and make sure the door is locked."

I let out a nervous chuckle.

"Don't overreact, Sam. It's just a message. Probably someone randomly sending messages to scare people."

"Still, do as I say. I'll try to get there as soon as possible."

I teased him with a mocking laugh.

"Alright, mommy."

"Goodbye, sweetheart."

"Goodbye, Sammy."

I hung up the phone. There were more messages from the unknown number. Before blocking them, I glanced at the messages and froze.

"I told you to answer me!"

"Are you really that dumb to block me?"

"Are you not going to reply?"