i

Avani wanted to take a life

Avani wanted to take a life. Her own, or someone else's, it didn't matter.

She clenched her jaw when her heel got stuck in the crack in the bridge. She crouched down, pulling it out before she continued chasing him down.

"You can not be serious," she said.

"I very much am," Tom said as he leisurely walked down the path, ignoring how she was struggling to keep up with him.

"You said you liked me!" she exclaimed, throwing her hands in the air. When he didn't turn to look at her, she scoffed.

"Look at me, dammit!"

Tom pushed his hands into the pockets of his long coat. He stopped, turning to her. Her cheeks were flushed from the cold, her midnight hair holding specks of snow. Her perfectly painted red lips looked immensely touchable now that she was angry. But he could not do that. It was a one-time thing with her, admitted that he might be undercounting the number, but still.

Avani was supposed to be a distraction as he spent his winter in Paris, a sweet fun between the times he collected followers for his cause. It was never meant to be greater than that. Just a pastime.

It was annoying that she had gotten attached, even though they only spent two weeks together.

Avani's anger was not at the fact that her heart was breaking, even though she could hear it crack, but it was not the reason. It was at the fact that she had been so stupid, so incredibly naïve. She hated how he had made her feel, so seen and oh so cared for. She supposed he was an unrighteous actor from a distant abyss of beguilers, for his manners had been eminently suasive.

She saw Tom light a cigarette, the pale orange glow of his match lighting up his face momentarily, something that the fading day seemed to fail at. He puffed out a cloud of smoke as he leaned against the parapet of the bridge, the cold, soft river flowing below him.

Avani snatched the cigarette from his hands, flicking it into the river. Tom blew the smoke that was left in his mouth in her face. She fanned it away.

"You can't do this, not on new year's Eve," she said.

"Look, Avani, you're young and -

"Didn't stop you from jumping in bed with me."

Tom ignored her. "You're young and you think this is the end of the world, but it's really not. You'll find someone better."

She scoffed.

"Stop patronising me. I'm twenty-two, not a fucking child," she said, exaggerating her age a little bit.

"Still eight years younger than me," Tom said.

Avani grimaced, thinking how he'd have reacted if he found out she was four years younger than she had told him. When they had first met at a pub, she knew he would not pursue her if he knew she was only eighteen. That's why she wore the red lipstick. It made her look older.

Tom brushed back a stygian curl that kissed his brow, then stuffed his glove-clad hands in his coat's pockets. "Look me in the eyes and tell me that you thought this was going to work Avani. Aren't you ashamed of chasing down a boy?"

"Oh, oh, I see what you're trying to do. So you want me to feel shameful, and not confront you for the asshole that you are. How convenient for you, isn't it?"

Tom shook his head, blowing out a foggy breath.

"Goodbye, Avani," he said before standing straight and walking away.

Avani tightened her teeth, feeling tears of frustration and heartbreak wet her eye leashes. She took out her heel, a shiny little black thing, and threw it at his back.

"You fucking bastard!" she screamed as it hit his back between his shoulder blades.

Tom laughed, picking it up. He looked at her for a moment, her heel in his hands. He took in her angered face, her big eyes that were slightly pink from tears, and her perfect crimson lips. She looked pretty when wrath lapped in her veins.

He did not give her a moment to stop him as he tossed her heel into the river.

"No, fuck!" the girl exclaimed as she ran towards the parapet, looking down at the black blur flow down the river. The cold bit at her toes, and she stood there helpless at the bridge, the new year only a few hours away, looking at Tom walk away as if she and the time they had spent together meant nothing to him.

A/N - you guys, don't throw shit in water and pollute the water bodies. 

i hope you liked this chapter, it's only very touching the surface but a bit important to understand the history between tom and avani. 

vote and comment if you can, it'll means a lot to me.