8: Rebirth and Justice

Despite being a noble, Loyd had a shitty upbringing.

Before the Henderson family was given a noble title, they were once a family of blacksmiths in a humble town in the east of the kingdom.

Their reputation as bloodthirsty and cunning knights started with his great, great, great, grandmother, Colonel Ryna Henderson.

During her time, the war between their kingdom, Silvan and the Kingdom of Serval had just started. Towns near the border were faced with vicious Serval knights, and since the border is located to the east, their town was one of the first to be ransacked.

Ryna was one of the people tasked with transporting weapons to the knights on the frontline. On a seemingly ordinary day of transporting weapons, she, along with other people was ambushed. During that fight, Ryna had a taste of the excitement brought by the suspenseful question of whether she would live or die.

Ambushes became the norm and Ryna slowly became addicted to that thrilling sensation. Without her parents' consent, she joined the frontline, and there, the red beast of the East was born.

After the war, she was one of the commoners who were praised and given the noble title of Baron and was given a small piece of land, under the rule of the Lodrell Ducal, by the king himself.

As her merits grew so were the family's reputation and wealth, however, their rank remained stagnant even with her outstanding achievements.

Decades passed and finally, their title as Baron rose due to his grandfather, Lieutenant Klay Henderson.

The knight hailed as the cunning red fox, who went up against the traitor general or better known as the Lion of Nueva, on the battle known in Loyd's textbooks as the Battle for the Plains of Esther.

However, that battle caused the Lieutenant's death.

Everything spiralled from then on.

His two children fought to be his successor, the eldest of the two had crippled his younger brother and thus became the Viscount.

Under his rule, the family almost fell to ruin if not for his sudden death— cough! Assassination—cough.

The title of Viscount was handed towards the crippled sibling. He managed the leftover gold, sold a few heirloom weapons to pay for their dept caused by his older brother, and partnered with merchants.

The new Viscount had a knack for business, however for parenting– not so much. The child he had before being crippled was immediately expected to bring the family great honor, why did he have such great expectations for the child? Well, it was simple.

Because he had red hair, just like his great, great, great grandmother and grandfather.

Red hair = talent for fighting and or strategy.

The logic was simply stupid, but a desperate man has to cling to some kind of hope, right?

Loyd would have tried to understand and empathize with his father's position if not for putting him in hell, or "training" as his father calls it, at the age of 5.

Before he could even hold a pen correctly, he was already expected to be swinging small wooden swords a dozen times a day.

After having been tested by the church and was confirmed that he was able to cast magic, his already terrible situation became much more hellish.

His hate towards his father for the lack of love, care and kindness, his hate towards training for making his body ache, his hate towards his instructors for making him cry every day,  his hate towards his mother for abandoning him, and his hate towards the gods for giving him such life grew day by day.