7

You lay in bed, staring up at the ceiling in frustration over the fact that you still had yet to fall asleep. It had been several hours now since Tighnari had walked you back to your room, and as tired as you felt from looking at records all day, you still found yourself laying awake.

You'd tried; you really had. By now, you'd utilized any methods you knew to try and get your mind to just shut up and let you fall asleep, and yet nothing had worked.

You still felt like someone was watching you. The feeling hadn't gone away even when earlier when you were with Nilou and Collei, but since Cyno had assured you Gandharva Ville would be safe, you'd been ignoring it and just chalking it up to your nerves getting the best of you.

Yet the more you continued to ignore it, the more intense it seemed to become. You knew there was no one out there, since every time you looked, you were met with an empty rainforest, but that didn't mean your nerves went away either. It felt like whoever was potentially stalking you was only getting closer with time, and the idea scared you.

After all, the fatui were most likely still after you. You didn't know what their goal was, but having experienced their horrendous acts in the past, you knew very well that it couldn't be anything good.

Finally, you gave up trying to sleep. You wouldn't be able to relax until you at least checked the surrounding area to prove to yourself that no one was out there. You felt like you were starting to go crazy.

Pulling a jacket Candace had given you over your shoulders, you quietly made your way out of your room, your skin meeting the cool air of the forest outside as you closed the door behind you, being careful not to wake Nilou or Collei. It would just be a quick walk around, and then you'd finally be able to sleep, you told yourself.

Making your way down the nearby bridge that led to the rest of the forest ranger camp, you looked around for any places someone could have been hiding and watching you from.

They were all empty, just as you'd expected. Yet, you could still feel someone's eyes on you. Still, being out in the fresh air did help you feel a little better.

You tried not to worry too much, knowing that if you let your fears consumer you, you'd just end up hurting yourself and others. But then you worried about how you shouldn't worry, and it all became one disgusting cycle. You were doing everything you could to control your emotions and prevent any outbursts from your fire, but given the situation you were in, it wasn't an easy task.

You took in the sounds of the night as you walked down to the edge of the camp, and then turned around to head back in the direction of the room.

Aside from the crickets chirping nearby and the occasional snores of the sumpter beasts, it was mostly quiet as you walked through the rainforest. The temperature was cool but not too cold, given the humidity that still hung in the air to retain some of the day's warmth. You sighed, relaxing into the atmosphere even despite the nervous feeling in your chest.

You were just returning to your room for the night when someone startled you out of your quiet daze.

"I hope you weren't planning on going back to do more research now that you thought I was asleep." Tighnari spoke behind you, making you jump as you whipped around to meet his eyes. Your heart pounded in your chest, thinking that whoever had been watching you had finally decided to take action.

After a second your heart rate steadied enough that you were able to turn back to him with a glare.

"You scared me!" You hissed, keeping your voice low so as not to wake anyone else, "And no, I wasn't trying to go back and do any more work. I just...Couldn't sleep. I felt like I needed a walk to clear my head."