1. Jouney to the Ground

"Safe passage on your travels"

Soft humming buzzes in my ear. The smooth carful voice, that I had always loved, sings me to sleep. My mother had the sweetest voice. I lay on a small bed. I'm maybe ten years old.

I close my eyes. "Goodnight Mera." She says. I smile, "Sing it again please." She chuckles and pushes a piece of my long brunette hair out of my eyes, "Alright, but this is the last time." She starts to hum the familiar tune once again. I can't remember that song now, it's been too long, too much has happened and my memory of her seems to be slipping.

When she finishes the tune once again she smiles and kisses my forehead. I close my eyes for a second and then watch her walk out of the door.

I might have fallen asleep for a couple hours when I hear a scream. I rush out of the door, finding my mother on the floor. Blood covers her neck and chest. Next to her, my father sits at a small round table, his head in his hands. He looks up from the table and scowls at me. "You are going to end up just like your mother. A coward!" He lunges at me, a knife in his hands. I scream and run for the door. The door is locked. He has the key. I stay still, my eyes bulging with fear. He takes the knife in his hand, points the blade at my chest and thrusts it at me.....

I jolt awake suddenly. Sweat dripping down my face. I breathe heavily, it was a dream. It was just a dream. None of that happened. My heart is beating fast, but my breathing has slowed down a bit. I'm still in my cell, still alive, in my cell.

Alone.

I sigh as I remember the dream that had just occurred. My father was a monster, and he knew it.

It's been about nine months since the incident that got me stuck in this cell. Prison wasn't terrible. Just.. boring.

Apparently Jaha had decided that I wasn't worthy of a roommate. Or worthy of seeing my best friends. The past nine months I've stayed alone in this cell, only going free at meals when I would eat with the dozens of other girls my age and younger.

I sit all day thinking about getting floated, waiting for my execution. Wishing that I could see the people I cared about just one more time, before I die. Praying that Jaha would let Jasper and Monty go. And sometimes I think about death. How it's only a short time away. How I'll be able to see my mother once again. And on those days, death doesn't seem so scary after all.

I hear footsteps approaching my cell and the metal door creaks open. Jaha stands in front of me, two guards at his heels. He smiles when he sees me.

"Mera, good to see you again." I scowl at him in hatred. And then my eyes widen, and the hatred turns into confusion. "It's not my execution date yet." I don't turn eighteen until next month. What was going on?

The guards grab my arms. I try to pull it away but one of them attaches a metal cuff around my arm. Fear enters my body and I look at the guards. "Are they floating all of us? Making room for everyone else?" I try to break lose from the guard's grip but he's too strong. I grab at the metal cuff, hopeless trying to get it to come off. Jaha leads me out of the cell.

I thrash and kick at the guards, "I get a retrial! I have rights! You can't just kill me! At least let me see my friends! Please!"

I feel a needle poked into my skin. The purplish liquid corses through my veins and suddenly my legs and arms feel weak. I try to move but can't find the strength to.

Jaha looks me in the eye, "I hope one day you can find the strength to forgive me for floating your father. Good luck on your journey, Mera." I try to figure out what he means by this but I can't. My eyes slowly close and everything around me goes dark.

- - -

"Mera." Someone is talking to me. I can hear what they're saying but I'm still lost in the murky water of consciousness. I can't wake up, I can't force myself to wake up. Everything is too dark.

"Mera." the voice says my name again. It sounds familiar, yet I can't put my finger on who it belongs to. It's a male voice. And it's seems to be young so I'm guessing the owner is the same age as me. I tried to think of any boys I knew who were my age. The only ones I could think of were Jasper and Monty. And it was impossible that it was one of them.

Maybe I was dead? Then it was possible. I had died. The needle they injected into me had killed me.

"Mera, please wake up. It's Monty." My eyes snap open at the mention of his name. I look at him. It seemed impossible that I would ever see him again, and yet here he was, in front of me. He was smiling, his dark eyes innocent and happy.

His hair had become longer since I had last seen it, and he'd matured more. He had grown into his body, and become much taller. He didn't look like the boy I knew back on the Ark.

"Monty?" I say, choking on the word. It's strange to say his name after so long. "How- what's going on?"

"You've been unconscious for over an hour." I look around me. People are packed tightly together. In front of me, two boy laugh and point at me. They catch me looking at them and one of them winks and smirks.

I try to ignore them and ask Monty the obvious question, "Where the hell are we?" Monty smiles.

He is about to speak when another voice interrupts him, "On a drop ship. We're going to Earth. We're going to get to see the ground." I look over at the owner of the voice. Jasper sits next to me, a big goofy smile on his face. He looks almost the exact same as a last saw him. And the big goggles still sit on top of his head.

"I see you still have the goggles." I say. He looks at me and nods, "I can't believe they let me keep them." We are interrupted by a voice on a screen. Chancellor Jaha sits in front of the screen. He looks at us. "Prisoners of the Ark..." I tune out to whatever he is saying and look at the people around me. I lurch forward as the drop ship takes off. Anticipation runs through me.

A boy takes off his seatbelt and starts to float around the ship. I tap Jasper and Monty to draw their attention to the boy. They turn their heads away from Jaha and look at him, amused by his stupidity.

They start to laugh, as do I, at how idiotic the boy's actions are.

A blonde girl is yelling at him to stop. She seems like a pain in the ass if you ask me. Two other boys follow him and take off their seatbelts as well.

They float for a while enjoying the effects of zero gravity. Then, suddenly, I'm thrust against the wall and my head bangs into the metal. A huge crash sounds through the dropship, causing my ears to ring. I stay still, closing my eyes from the pain.

The two boys lay on the ground unmoving. "They're dead." the blonde girl says, removing her hand from the boy's neck.

"Should we get out of these seats?" I say to Monty. He shrugs. The blonde girl turns her head to me, "I think we should all stay in the seats until we get notice from the Ark."

My eyes narrow towards, "No offense blondie, I didn't ask you. You're out of your seat, which makes you a hypocrite. And, don't you dare even think you have any authority over me, ok? You don't."

I unbuckle the seat belt, looking back to see Jasper and Monty smiling at my feistiness towards the girl. I shrug and stand from the seat. Excited to get back on my feet.

The girl ignores me and watches as everyone else ignores her. The mass of prisoners on the drop ship begin to stand from their seats awaiting the ground that lay behind the doors.

We are on Earth. We're finally here. After 97 years of waiting, we're home.

a/n well that's chapter 1. I put a lot of thought into this chapter especially the dream. I have a lot of good ideas for her backstory, so I hope you enjoyed and I'll update again soon!!