Chapter 3: Catching Strides

March 12, 2010

Wild Area Several Miles Outside of Motostroke, Galar

James, Abby, Vik, Leon and Hop had all just finished their lunch break as Leon had stood up and stretched his arms out. He glances over at the others with his usual grin on his face.

"Alright guys, it's time for you all to try and catch a wild pokemon. It's just as important to catch pokemon as it is to battle with them. You can hold up to six pokemon at once and it is vital to build an awesome team if you plan to become an expert battler!" He explains with excitement as Hop once again facepalms.

"You and your obsession with battling brother." He sighs disappointedly but then laughs a little afterwards. "But besides battling, trainers catch pokemon to help aid them in their goals,whatever that may be. For example, I have several more pokemon besides my Dubwool. And all of them help me with Sonia's research."

"Exactly, and catching one usually isn't too difficult. The most common way to catch a pokemon is to battle it and then catch it once it's weakened. So here, I'm going to gift you all with several pokeballs and I want you to try and catch a wild pokemon." Leon says as he hands each a few pokeballs.

"So...we are to just do it ourselves rather than you demonstrate?" Abby was a little confused at the sudden rush into action.

"Personally, I feel like it's better you all get some practice rather than me showing you. But me and Hop can help you all if you need it." Leon assures her as she looks down at the device before nodding. "But for now, let's have some of us split off to search different areas for Pokemon. So how about Abby going with Hop while James and Vik go with me?"

"Sure, that works with me" Vik replies as Abby nods.

"Let's get moving then!" James said feeling rather pumped as the group heads out into the wild area.

*Timeskip*

Abby and Hop were walking through the forest when Hop put his arm out signaling for her to stop. He then points to a patch of grass that was rustling a little and a racoon like pokemon had emerged from the rustling grass.

"Looks like a simple catch for you. That's a Zigzagoon, a pokemon that originated from the Hoenn region." He says taking out his Rotom phone and scanning the pokemon before showing her the screen. "Here, this is what the Pokedex says about it."

Zigzagoon, the tiny racoon pokemon.Thought to be the oldest form of Zigzagoon, it moves in zigzags and wreaks havoc upon its surroundings. The Pokedex reads off to her as Abby seemed a little intrigued.

"Huh, so why am I seeing two different forms of it here?" She questioned as he chuckled.

"The brownish fur is a result of the pokemon adapting to the atmospheric conditions of other regions such as Hoenn or Sinnoh." Hop explained as Abby nodded in response.

"Okay...I think I'm going to try and catch it." She said firmly as she looked at her shoulder to see Grookey who gave her a little wave. "Let's do this Grookey."

Grookey let out an energetic cry as it jumped off her shoulder, ready to engage the Zigzagoon. The Zigzagoon growls out in response and rushes toward Grookey.

"Umm...use growl to disorientate it!" She commands as Grookey lets out a harsh screech which causes Zigzagoon to stop completely in its tracks as Grookey then runs to swipe at it with his twig. The attack landed as the opposing Zigzagoon shook a little from the impact. Zigzagoon then began to let out a loud snarl.

"Dodge it!" She commands as Grookey manages to jump out of the way. "Okay...use razor leaf!"

Grookey sends several sharp leaves towards the Zigzagoon who was dodging in between each of the leaves until it was face to face with Grookey. The two have a small clash as the Zigzagoon was trying to headbutt Grookey while he was trying to push the Zigzagoon back.

"Keep fighting back Grookey! He has to get tired soon!" She shouts out as Grookey continues to hang on the best he can. The Zigzagoon slowly begins to lose the clash as Grookey pushes further and further until he pushes his opponent onto his back. "Now branch poke!"